In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Can your business handle this and $15 min wage?

Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in Politics

The floodgate has been opened. The one thing that has kept people working jobs they dont like at low wages is that there was no safety net for good working folks if they quit their jobs.

This basically makes it a no brainer. Make less than $700 a week? Quit and get a raise.

This is just a precursor to what they are really trying to accomplish, a national income, and universal health care. Think about it.

At this point I don't blame people for quitting and jumping on the gov't tit. If the offer is that good, kind of be stupid to refuse it.

Glad I am not a business owner that has employees making $8-12 an hour, going to be real hard to keep them.

Comments

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭

Just another massive job killer courtesy of the megalomaniac in the Whitehouse. With the help of DEMOCRATs in congress, it will happen.

Amazing how in just his first month, Bidet can take out over 100,000 jobs and at the worse possible time.

• Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

More than 100k. That was on the first day alone with the pipeline.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Watched Sleepy Joe announce if you think the job is unsafe don't do it. More demo action. I reckon the word Demo is making more sense. Demolition... destroy...

edited January 2021

Well I work in a hospital. We have covid positive patients. Many employees make well less than $700 a week and have to go in patient's rooms that have covid (myself included). So what happens when the EVS, dietary, maintenance, therapy and nurse aid crews all quit? The hospital shuts down, thats what. The Environment Of Care requires a level of staffing per patient, as does CMS.

Think about it a bit.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

wife and I were talking tonight when she got home from work I commented about the new commandment

I said can you imagine how many people are going to quit in the next couple weeks I have some morals and self respect but I know If I was working some dead end or min wage job I would be waving good by . give me my check money for nothing has a new meaning

but offer any one the chance to quit because they feel like they may be in danger of getting covid ,, sure that s a great idea who would take advantage of that add in lowering the standard's to getting food stamps so now money and free food in three days he has wiped out four years of good its like a new game how many voters can we buy or import to support our pocket lining

I was talking with my wife about it as well. Brought up a radio host Simon Conway in IA talking with the CEO of Mid American energy about subsidies for windmills. The CEO admitted the govt pays for the windmills and they wouldn't put them up if Mid American had to pay for them because they would not be profitable. The CEO and Simon agreed that the CEO is only doing the smart thing and what is best for shareholders by legally using the available program. Simon disagreed with the program but agreed the CEO is just doing his job.

Same thing here in a way. Although I totally disagree with welfare and public programs, I guess who is the smart one? Those who take advantage of legal programs and dont have to work or those of us who work our butts off and take the moral high road but struggle to get by?

When I worked for the phone company in DSM, we used to take walks at lunch through a gov't housing area. We had 1/2 hr to walk then get back to work, we witnessed people outside in lawn chairs, music playing, cars coming and going, kids playing. I used to say all them time, who are the smart ones and who are the dumb ones? One group is enjoying life with hardly a care and the other group is busting their butts to make ends meet and pay for daycare while working 40+ hours a week.

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

The problem with increasing the minimum wage to $15 is the trickle down effect. Its a no-brainer for sane folk. If wages are increased, cost of goods sold increases to make up the difference. The cost of living will rise to meet the new minimum so everyone is still in the same situation. Barely making enough if you have a minimum wage job to get the necessities is the norm no matter the minimum. Minimum wage is not a living wage. Its a baseline. Increasing minimum wage will never improve a person's standard of living. Over here pounding my head against the wall......

• BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Susie is right and to add to that will be the effect of wage compression. So the minimum goes to 15 and prices will rise so 15 has the buying power of today’s 12 then 10, etc such that the buying power of the new minimum wage has eroded.

Where the compression comes in will be for the folks currently making say 16, 20, 30 dollars an hour. The erosion of buying power happens to these folks as well. So these folks have Job skills and their buying power drops to 11, 15 and 25 an hour respectively. Now they take a hit, can’t afford things and lean on employers for more while they aren’t spending as much into the economy.

Retired folks take a buying power hit as well and they have no one to go to and try to get more from. They have to either cut back on what they buy (remember prices went up) or start pulling more than planned out of savings. Which doesn’t end well.

This could be all wrong too - It could be that people cost businesses more, businesses make less profits on one end and pay an increased corporate tax on the other end and don’t need to increase prices. In which case everyone’s buying power stays the same except those at the minimum, where they increase. But I would bet on the first option.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

I will also add in

Ok $15 to flip burgers and all the similar 15 minute to learn jobs so to be fair some one with technical skills . years of training or schooling in there field professionals in all the different trades who worked hard to get there JMHO to be fair and keep some balance of fairness maybe start at $50.00 and up from there . only seems right

why speed years for a position then only make $5.00 more than a burger flipper or dish washer they have lost sight those low paying jobs are not intended to make a great living on or support a family . there entry level or part time even fill in jobs for retirees .

to me there doing what ever to toss moss money to buy more votes . the working calls is a lost cause for the dems so build a huge voting force with free money free food free green cards what ever it takes to keep them in power

like signing your soul over to satin we will take care of you just forfeit all your rights we know what's best so let us do it all .

seems to me what was told to the native American's turn in your guns you don't need them on the reservations big brother will watch over and take care of your needs oh we will also educate your kids the way we want and erase your heritage

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Sleepy Joe seems to be a tight wad. He is proposing $15.00 per hour, would it not be much better for American workers to make it $30.00 per hour?

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭

Might as well boost it up to more than that. Will enjoy seeing Ivy League grads start out as sanitation workers if they dont like flippin burgers.

• GMPGMP Member Posts: 1

Seems to me nobody's paying attention to the unintended consequences. So many people will have no jobs. automation and robotics is expanding at a unbelievable rate. Make the minimum rate $15. or $30. hour. There will be no jobs for them. Tech companies will continue to grow and expand and move away from the US when they are taxed beyond what is cheaper somewhere else as they are doing now. Tax the crap out of the Corporations, Financial and tech are not your friends.

They do not care if you live under a bridge or in a tent. The products are inferior, look at how their internet is corrupt. How many people get scammed everyday costing the individual not the tech company or financial institutions. I believe Corporations have over a trillion stashed but we as a country owe around 30 trillion and growing. Most Politicians are not your friends. Look at their bank accounts

Don't forget entertainment. They live in a different

😉 world also. Tax them and bring them down to are world. JMO do what U want.

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

The low end, low paying jobs are going away no matter how much you increase the minimum wage.

On the first announcement of boosting it to $15/hour. McDonalds released it's version of automatic ordering. Step up to the menu and punch in your order. You can even pay right at those menus. Wait a few minutes and someone drops a bag on the counter.

Almost every grocery store I've been in in the last few years has self checkout. You do all the work and they keep their prices just as high without having to hire more checkers. Walmart has a line of 20 check out lanes with only two or three open. Your choice? Self checkout.

I'll bet most of us use self service gas stations with pay at the pump and probably have been for the last 20 years. Who checks your oil or wipes your windows? You or your mechanic.

Soon you will see auto food prep courtesy of McDonalds. they will have one or 2 supervisors in 'kitchen' watching over the automated preparation machines. Safer and cleaner for the public! Doubt me? I've seen this in action at McDonalds University.

This is all about control.

Best.