In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Legality of selling a AR-15 handgrip and value of it

cyajaycyajay Member Posts: 2

I live in NJ and would like to sell a hand grip for a AR-15. Are there any legal issues with selling such a gun part online? Do I need any licenses? Do I need to verify any information from the buyer?

Also what's the value of such a grip? It's from Ronin Factory and I believe it's aluminum

Comments

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭

I am not a lawyer (more importantly, I am not YOUR lawyer) having said that, legally the RECEIVER is the firearm- everything else is parts- and are not regulated the way a firearm is. It does not require a license to sell, gift, trade, buy or crochet one. The only thing you need to verify is that the buyer has the money. I would not engage in sales outside the US.

as far as values- I have no clue. What did you pay for it?

• dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen MSRP as high as $100.00.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

nope have at it

• competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

New Jersey has some of the most restrictive firearm laws in the country. They regulate "as firearms" items that do NOT meet the Federal law definition of "a firearm"; I'm not aware of them currently regulating anything like your pistol grip, but if you check with major retailers who are selling similar grips (it doesn't need to be the same brand), so long as they don't have small-print notes on the item saying they cannot ship it to NJ, it will probably mean that it is not regulated by your state, and you're fine to sell yours without any concerns you might be doing anything illegal (in the state of NJ).

• cyajaycyajay Member Posts: 2

Ok thanks for your responses

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

My original thought was: "Are you kidding?". But then it dawned on me just how far some of the gun related regulations have gone and I began to understand just how bad life is in some places.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

Nice looking grip BTW.

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

I understand the concern about grips being a potential problem but usually only when you're adding a grip to a firearms which did not come with one originally like shotguns. Yours is designed to be a replacement for a factory original part. I couldn't find any ruling against this grip and shouldn't, you have to have something to hold onto like it came from the factory.

I also spent some time trying to track down the manufacturer. They have seemingly switched horses and make other accessories now which do not include your grip. Oh well. Based on the ones I'm familiar with and the process to make them, you should be in the area of $60 - $80 dollars in the real world. In the realm of fantasy that buyers are in now you could expect more but without proper attention from buyers, you may suffer at the low end. You have to make your potential buyers aware of what you have to offer.

Best.

• BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

One of the best ways to get a lot of exposure may be to list it on the Gun Broker Auction side with a starting price that you’re willing to part with them for.

This discussion has been closed.