In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barrels for 22LR

TroutTrout Member Posts: 2

Came across two barrels on a gun buy, one is a Factory Remington Model 37 barrel and the other is a Eric Johnson barrel. Was wondering what value to assign these 2 items if I decide to sell them? Both barrels are in great shape.

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭

ya mean iver johnson barrel

• Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

With any parts CONDITION is a key element in determining price. As mac10 has noted, the one barrel is probably an "Iver Johnson" -- you'll need to determine a model before determining pricing or listing in the auction (people who will be looking for it, will be typing very specific terms for what they want, your description needs to match those terms).

With the Remington Model 37, I'm seeing a major parts supplier showing a price of about $285 for ones described as being in "good condition" -- but none are in stock right now. You can check the Auction here and use the "Advanced" search to look for completed items to see if any have sold recently.

Some might say just "put it in the auction for a penny and see what it's bid up to" -- that can sometimes work, but generally with parts one has to expect to "wait" before one finds someone looking for a specific part. Listing with a low starting bid will definitely sell it, but you won't get the maximum (or even "fair") price if there happens to be no one, or few people, looking for a particular part. I find it is usually best to try to determine what something is worth (and as mentioned, prices vary greatly based on condition) then list it with good photos, and wait until a buyer needing/wanting it finds your item.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

LIKE MENTIONED ABOVE CONDITION IS IMPORTANT BUT EVEN MORE SO IS ORIGINALITY ( THE M=37 BARREL). THIS WAS REMINGTON'S ANSWER TO THE M-52 WINCHESTER. AN ORIGINAL, UNALTERED, GOOD COND. M-37 BARREL WOULD BE WORTH A LOT, AN ALTERED, SO/SO CONDITION ONE NOT SO MUCH.

• Options
    TroutTrout Member Posts: 2

These barrels are not for a Iver Johnson gun. The 2 barrels came with a Remington Model 37 22LR gun. Both barrels will fit a Remington Model 37 action. Google search Eric Johnson Barrels and you will see the history. I don't know much about Iver Johnson guns, other than shotguns made by them. These barrels are not shotgun barrels. Thanks for the info from all.

• Options
    John J StimsonJohn J Stimson Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Eric Johnson was a .22 rifle competitive shooter and maker of custom .22 RF rifle barrels before and after WWII. During WWII he worked at the High Standard machinegun company where he was a member of the High Standard rifle team. Johnson's barrels are highly thought of.