In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shipping primers

CoopCoop Member Posts: 4

I have questions regarding the shipping of primers. I have been to UPS and have spoken to their Hazmat experts. I am being told that they absolutely WILL NOT ship primers. I have also spoken to Fed Ex. They tell me that the primers MUST be packaged by an individual specifically trained and certified in Hazardous Materials. I live in a large metropolitan area, and am unable to find such a service that will ship primers.

I have read various forums regarding the shipping of primers. Some have stated that the penalties for unregulated shipping of primers are very severe. One person said he knew of an individual being fined $200, 000. Another said DO NOT risk shipping primers improperly. If there were a problem, you could lose everything you own in a lawsuit.

I see thousands of listings on Gunbroker for primers. I have to believe that many are shipping primers as ammunition. Perhaps the don't ask, don't tell when shipping your package containing primers is the way to go. Can someone please tell me the proper and legal way to ship primers?

Thanks,

Coop

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

You need a Haz Mat License. I have no idea how to get one and since I have no intention of applying I am not going to research it. I understand the penalties are substantial. I just read on another site where people are shipping primers as ammo but if they get caught they will be sorry is my guess.

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

Coop,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

Hazmat and how to get it done is one of the most requested pieces of information these days.

You must take a HAZMAT course which costs money.

You then qualify for a HAZMAT license which costs money.

Then every time you ship against this license you have paperwork to fill out and file.

The person who said 'he knows someone being fined $200,000' is a liar. He is simply trying to make a point to scare others because that is near the highest fine. Fines for first offense are much smaller but just as significant to your life since you can also go to jail.

Ammunition requires a specific label in order to qualify for shipping, no HAZMAT.

Powder and primers require HAZMAT labels and paperwork.

You make your own choices and let the others fend for themselves.

Best.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

they slide them thru the system till they get caught

• CoopCoop Member Posts: 4

Thanks for the comments Ricci.

To get a Hazmat license, one must take a class (about 8 hours), and I believe complete an exam. My research indicated a fee in the $300-350 range for the class.

• ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Its my guess the odds of getting caught by any shipper is so small that the sellers just play the odds they will not be caught. I have had several seller over the years send loaded ammo by mail, this is also not legal. With prices so high they are willing to take the risk.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

watching a primer auction 5000 win spp ,price 1130.00 with 19 hours to go seller is NR listing several ship methods

How much can it cost if you get caught?? A few months in fed prison, meeting new people from different walks of life, but who are still fans of firearms no doubt. And how much can a lawyer charge to fight the fed gov for a few years?? But hey, you got $100.00 for 200 primers right? That's what matters.

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭

Most of the folks that I've met in prison had one thing in common: they thought that they were so slick that they would never be caught.

Unless you settle for a public defender, your legal fees, court costs, & fines will start at $20,000 in most locations.

Neal

OK guys, let me re-phrase my comment from the first post. What I meant was: I believe many people ARE using the dont' ask, don't tell when shipping their primers for these outrageous prices. The reason I have reached out as well as conducted my due diligence is because I DO NOT want to ship anything illegally. Yes, I have primers I could sell. But no, I will not take chances by shipping them illegally. No Slickster activity on my end.

Thanks for all the comments.

Well we kinda wanted to use you as a test case.

Not today Ricci!! Prolly not tomorrow either......LOL

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭

TWELVE!

Oh my...

That was exhilarating!

This discussion has been closed.