In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I almost bought a gun today

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I went to a gun shop not far from me. I like looking at the used guns in the rack and I found a Winchester Model 55 .22 single shot blow back rifle.

These things are really cool and will shoot 22 LR, L, S. It was in really good shape but they wanted too much for it. I tried to talk them down but nogo. The guy teased me and said where will you find the ammo for it(They had 4 boxes of CCI 50 rd boxes out and it was limit one) I told him I had that covered and didn't need to buy 22 for the rest of my life😉 especially for a SS rifle. I told him I would be back in 2 weeks and we will see if he is ready to make a deal.

RLTW

Comments

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

Those are so unique. Haven't had one in 25 plus years. Like what was the price if I may ask?

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Almost doesn't count.😁

Maybe you could trade him some highly inflated priced 22 ammo. The way things are going, a couple of bricks of Thunderduds should just about cover it. Bob

• wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭

They are a really different .22 action. you load from the top and it ejects from the bottom. The receiver cover is plastic and is prone to break. New ones can be found. Someone is making them from aluminum. I haven't shot this one fearing the break, I'm not short of available .22 rifles.

standard.jpg
  • ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭

Nobody is haggling these days, they don't have to because everything is selling fast.

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

They wanted $375 for it. I offerend 200 figuring to work a deal. I would probably pay 300 max, tax, tag and title.

This one looked like it was brand new out of the box.

RLTW

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

300 imo if in that condition would be worth it but most people never seen one or even heard of one. Small number of collectors and the ones are dying off. To bad most of the other generation won't take up saving old firearms like that. After working in a busy shop part time last three months I have seen many people come in with dads firearms and dump them not caring about anything but the cash they could get. Off topic,

That is what I figured @Grasshopper . The number of people in todays world and in my area who will shell out almost 400 bucks for some weird single shot are a very small subset of the people buying guns today. I went in the shop and there were probably 7 people that were not employees, none were even looking at the used gun rack, which is fairly long. All of them were looking at Black guns rifles and pistols. Not one person was in the revolver section.

They had some really nice used stuff too.

RLTW

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭

had the same experience Sam in small loca shop that opened last year. they had maybe 10-15 used guns and a rack full of new AR style rifles and synthetic stocked rifles and shotguns. I ask the boy behind the counter about a shotgun he had in the rack, I thought it was a 28ga but turned out to be 20ga. ask him if he knew if he would be getting more later, he said he doubted it , there was no money in used guns! and they were gonna stop the consignment sales. turns out they closed less than 3 months later. I allways figure the money was IN the used market not the new market, but what do I know.

as you said though I allways make an offer they have the right to say yes or no, doesn"t hurt my feelings if they say no. and if they say yes I got the deal I wanted, I have had the counter person say yes quite a few times on guns at various pawn shops just because they had been there to long without any interst but me...........

• Shadowrules2017Shadowrules2017 Member Posts: 1

Wait, there was a gun show?

@hillbille don't get me wrong I like assault weapons and tactical style rifles and pistols BUT I like older stuff too. When I go to a gunshow my head is on a swivel looking for "wood". The guy I go with is the same way, I will call "I got wood over here"and we will make a beeline to it.

I would think used guns would have a good profit margin too. Its the 1st thing I look for when I go to a gunshop. The new stuff all looks the same to me. The difference in an AR doesn't really intrest me. I don't say "Oh mann look its a 4th gen Glock" I really don't care, the difference between a 2nd Gen and a 5th gun really doesn't mean anything to me. I don't need an ambi slide release or a optic mount so who cares. But I see an old Winchester or Colt and I want to look at it.

RLTW

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

"I got wood over here" OK well that just took on a whole new meaning... LOL!

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭

You want to trade wood for sheep?

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

neat old rifle I do not remember ever seeing one but then again I never looked as I never wanted a single sot any thing as I got older I apricate the single shots for what they are .

my dad when he was growing up told me all they had were single shots 22 and 12 ga and each shot had to accounted for as in a rabbit , a squirrel occasional hog to feed the family no wasting ammo .

JMHO seems like a lot of collectables no matter the subject each generation seems to have a "want" to remind them of younger years maybe they had one or wanted one just never got one or could afford it now they can sadly when there gone or going that range of collector items usually drop off in price ( few exceptions but seems to be the rule ) and again maybe just me but what I have noticed the younger generations grew up on throw away items they just do not seem to have that collector need . want the newest and latest not yesterdays

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭

It is a fun gun, I pad $ 105 on here, no load gate.

Jack First makes the aluminum one