In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I support the 2nd Amendment but

savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,452 ✭✭✭✭

I recently wrote Rick Scott here is his reply doesn't sound to committed to me second paragraph pretty much tells me he is ready to compromise those rights.

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun sales and ownership in America. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

I am a proud supporter of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and the right of law-abiding citizens to possess firearms. The Framers enshrined this right in our Constitution for a reason, and I remain committed to protecting that important liberty. 

At the same time, the safety and security of our families is one of my top priorities. As a U.S. Senator, I am committed to ensuring any legislative proposal that Congress considers carefully balances the preservation of every individual liberty enshrined in the U.S. Constitution with the promotion of public safety. 

Again, thank you for your correspondence. I am proud to represent every citizen in Florida and I appreciate the time you took to provide your position on this matter. Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Rick Scott

United States Senator

Comments

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,342 ******

Translation: I support the 2nd until I am bought to not support the 2nd....

• US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭

Not my senator, but is my "representative". I think they all must use the same form letter writer. Do you think we are smart enough to figure that out? Maybe since it was a "personal letter" they think we won't share it with someone else.

March 11, 2021

Dear XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts on gun control. I appreciate you taking the time to share your views with me.

I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and responsible gun ownership. Before serving in Congress, I oversaw licensing for hunting and sport at the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. I know that responsible gun ownership is a part of our tradition here in Iowa. I am also a mom, and every time I hear of another school shooting, I am reminded of parents who have had to endure pain no parent should have to endure. Congress has a responsibility to make sure we’re keeping guns out of the hands of dangerous people while still protecting the Second Amendment.

That’s why I supported bipartisan, commonsense measures this Congress – to make sure that guns are bought and sold safely, and that we prevent guns from being possessed by dangerous, distressed individuals. This included a pair of bills that would expand and strengthen background checks: the Bipartisan Background Checks Act and the Enhanced Background Checks Act. If we are serious about keeping guns away from people who cannot legally own them, we must have strong background checks that enforce these laws.

These bills close two loopholes in existing federal law. Currently, unlicensed sellers are permitted to sell guns without conducting a background check, sometimes referred to as the Gun Show Loophole. Sellers are also permitted to “default to proceed” on a sale if a background check is not completed in three days, which has been called the Charleston Loophole. The Bipartisan Background Checks Act closes the Gun Show Loophole by prohibiting any person without a license to transfer a gun to another unlicensed person without a background check. And the Enhanced Background Checks Act extends the background check period, providing time to complete background checks on individuals requiring additional review while maintaining a quick, efficient process for law-abiding gun owners.

I am also proud to have voted to pass the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2019. This legislation would improve services provided for victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking – including prohibiting individuals subject to a temporary court order for these crimes from possessing a firearm. People impacted by intimate partner violence should never have to fear for their lives because they took action. That’s why it is important that alleged perpetrators are kept away from firearms that make these situations more dangerous for victims, their families, and their loved ones.

By encouraging responsible ownership and keeping guns out of the hands of dangerous individuals, we can help protect our communities, our families, and our children from gun violence. I will continue to keep your concerns in mind as the House of Representatives considers any other legislation that may impact gun ownership in America.

Thank you again for contacting my office. Please keep in touch with any additional questions or comments by emailing me at https://axne.house.gov/contact. If you would like to receive regular updates from me, please visit https://axne.house.gov/contact/newsletter to sign up for my e-newsletter.

Sincerely,

Cindy Axne

Member of Congress

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,342 ******

So she doesn't really support the 2nd either...

• US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭

Yep. She has all of the "important parts" down.

. . . licensing for hunting and sport . . .

. . . responsible gun ownership . . .

. . . no parent should have to endure . . .

. . . still protecting the Second Amendment . . .

. . . bipartisan, commonsense measures . . .

. . . bought and sold safely . . .

. . . expand and strengthen . . .

. . . If we are serious . . .

. . . close two loopholes . . .

. . . proud to have voted . . .

. . . we can help protect . . .

. . . will continue to keep your concerns in mind . . .

. . . considers any other legislation that may impact gun ownership . . .

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,467 ✭✭✭✭

She wouldn't support it even if she understood it, Ruger4me.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Those folks have been in the fruit loops. There lies their loop hole

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,347 ***** Forums Admin

Counterfeit individuals.