In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can You Carry a Loaded Shotgun in a Camper Nation Wide?

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

I know a handgun is probably is controlled in some blue states but does a loaded shotgun escape prosecution, If its classified as your castle/home domain.I suspect it's not on/in Federal Properties and some states properties.

Thanks in advance

serf

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭

From the link below:

The most general firearms rule applicable to vehicle transport in New York State is that it is illegal to transport any type of gun in a car if the gun is loaded unless you possess a valid New York Permit to Carry.

I would think that a motor home or a camper is considered a vehicle and not a domicile.

To the point of on Federal or State Property, one would have to consider who claims ownership of the roads.

https://www.hudsonvalleycriminallaw.com/guns-found-in-your-car-know-the-applicable-new-york-law/

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited April 2021

I am confused.If you detached from your vehicle and at a Rv park then your considered a domicile and your firearm can be on the table and loaded but when you hook up it must be uuloaded and locked up. In New york I doubt they know the difference. Now if I went camping in D.C. then I know having anything relate to a firearm is verboten!

serf

https://www.allstays.com/Features/gun-travel-rv-as-residence/

If your RV is fixed or attached so you can't just drive away, laws have stated that you can be called a residence or a home. This means you are in a campground hooked up to water, sewer, electric and any others. You are no longer mobile without a bit of time to unhook all the stuff we RVers hook up. At this point, you can sit at your dinette with a loaded gun if you want to do so.

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭

in Illinois, very blue BTW, during transport, the gun must be fully cased AND unloaded. when the RV is parked and set up for living in a domicile, it may be uncased and loaded. if children are within that same area-in the RV, then its advisable to have the gun locked up and unloaded

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited April 2021

An RV, no matter the type, is not considered to be a "home" until it is connected to utilities. That can mean at a trailer park or in your own backyard. If it's not connected to utilities it is not considered to be a home.

Before anyone get's started [and I know that some of you are making a move for your keyboards], for the purposes of this question, it is irrelevant that your grandparents, your parents, or even you, lived in a house with no electricity or running water. Save that for a family history lesson.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******

NY, NJ, CA and probably a few others, it's questionable whether you can have a loaded gun in your home regardless of its mobility.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

So some states allow it if it has utilities connected and unhitched from the vehicle. If so then how many and which ones? Or does it falls under The Constitution in all the 50 states to keep and bear firearms in your temporary home? Any rulings or case law that anyone knows here at GB?

Thanks

serf