In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lefty took it home

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭

Mickelson makes history in winning PGA Championship

There is hope for us old guys yet. Even for some of us don't follow golf, that was a big event for a 50 yo guy that was competing with some guys that were decades younger.

😀

It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

never played or watched golf

but any old fellow who can flex his back legs and body and swing a golf club is doing good ..

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

I don’t follow golf but Phil seems to be a class act.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭

can't remember now if it was 17or 18 but Phil outdrove Koepka by 5 yards or more, I think the anouncers said it was the farthest drive of the tournament, 366 yards, I know his addrenaline was pumping but still a 50 year old man outdriving the rest of the field is impressive........

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

My sons friend put a $50 on Phil to win at 300-1 odds. Yea, I saw the bet on Fanduel. He was locked the whole day Sunday. And yes hillbille he outdrove Bryson and the field on that hole, impressive exhibit of ability.

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Heck of a show. His bunker hole was awesome and man he was on fire the whole time.

I am not a fan of Koepka.

RLTW

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

He made history yesterday. Oldest to ever win a major, and he had his brother there (caddy) with him to share it . Very 😎

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭

Great for him at his age 😀, Julio Franco was a everyday pro baseball player up into his 50's too, and did it well.......just a friendly reminder not to let age stop you from enjoying what you love 😁

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭

I walked my usual 18 holes this morning. While I have never played as well as the pros, I can still play golf at age 74. It's one of the very few sports you can play from childhood until old age, and it is a true sport, unlike the games people like to call sports.

I was rooting for either Mickelson or Speith to win it - for almost completely opposite reasons. The course whupped Speith but Phil managed to best everyone else.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Golf is a great game for all ages, I can still best my son some days on the course and I cannot wait till my grandson gets a little older so we can start taking him out with us for at least a few holes

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭

Never been a golfer or a die hard fan . I have over the years developed an appreciation for how difficult the game is . Hats off to him ,great accomplishment at any age .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, $50.00 at 300:1! Please ask your son's pal if I can borrow $50.00 for pizza and beer.

😆

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭

I have news for everyone .......... 50 isn't old

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭

The check engine light comes on though. And it will again at a later date.

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

Good for him. I thought he was going to throw it away at the end of the day Saturday, but he kept his head it in and powered through.

I’m a few months short of 60 And can still manage a few 300 yard drives per round. The game is won around the green, however, and there are few as good as Phil around the green.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

Don, appears if at 60 you can do a few 300's that is still a great sign that the swing is full and not much wear or surgeries. After my neck surgery it cut it down by 25 yds or so but still ok. Putting is the money and people still want me on the quads so that's ok by me.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

What's really impressive is, in conjunction with his age, he suffers from RA. That dude is a beast! Many congrats to him. Total class act!!

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

It would make an interesting spectacle to see me swing a golf club having a neck with zero rotation or up and down movement. I would need extra help aiming towards the fairway, hit the ball and have to have others tell me where it went!

I would need a megaphone to yell FORE after every swing.

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭

I have severe RA . Wish i knew who his rhumotologist is . Walking is a daily chore .let along walk and play golf

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭

He has Psoriatic arthritis not Rheumatoid. That doesn't lessen the effects of either one; just being accurate.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

Phil was close in a lot more tournaments then he won, my opinion in his earlier years he choked alot, I was pulling for him and I'm very glad he won.

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!