In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

3-D Binder Jet Additive Manufacturing

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2021 in General Discussion

How long before we get a custom pistol made with this technology with a steel barrel glued in it with other high wear areas? Only G.E. knows.Maybe they are anti gun.

serf

https://www.ge.com/additive/webinars/binder-jet-additive-manufacturing-how-technology-will-disrupt-high-volume-casting

How this Technology will Disrupt the High-Volume Casting Industry

Binder Jet is one emerging additive technology that can have a tremendous impact on traditional supply chains and is an efficient method for producing innovative components quickly and at scale.

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,251 ******

3D printing of actual gun parts with metal has been available for years and years now. Laser sintering even longer. Most gun parts are best made with traditional machining but additive manufacturing techniques certainly do allow folks without machining skills to make parts and assemble them.

With recent rulings that sharing 3d gun parts info is ok, the field is wide open.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭

The only thing I would add to Mr. P’s comment -

The steel components of a firearm act as a pressure vessel.

That is a whole different animal, than 3D printing something to match a drawing.

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Well they have polymer receivers now with steel inserts and if I was taking an educated guess this new kind of 3-D printing layers down some king of compound with better tensile strength with stresses is going to a stronger unit to make it cheaper and better than Plastic polymers and be on par possiblly with machined steel

GE Corporation is Ant-gun and the powers to be do not want their tech set up to wind up in wrong hands making weapons on a mass scale with little work and abilities to make precise firing ghost guns in a matter of hours. You can bet on it.

serf

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,251 ******

I you print the parts (or sinter) in stainless, you can send the key components out for heat treatment. Printing a bbl though seems to me like it might result in a fairly inaccurate gun, unless there is some post processing beyond heat treatment done.

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain