In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pretty good load of hickory

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

After my bus run this morning, I went to a friend’s house and cut a load. The trees were already on the ground. All we did was buck them and load them on the truck with his tractor.

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

NICE!! That's pretty country.

• Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

....Hickory and Mesquite, about the two best BBQ, smoking woods around...

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******

Wish we had Hickory available around here in Michigan! I have to import it from other states. I make ramrods for muzzle loaders out of it. The very best wood for that purpose. The chips go into the smoker. Also great for axe, hammer, and hatchet handles.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful! At 27 million BTU per cord, some of the best firewood you can get.

What are you going to split it with? I cut and split lots of firewood. I gave up on hickory because I can't split it with the maul.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin

Nice, alder is the only hardwood we get here in the Pacific northwest.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited May 2021

I’m a one man gang. I roll the big pieces into the tractor bucket. Drive up to the gas wood splitter and roll them onto it. I can’t lift those big blocks anymore.

A Fiskars x27 works good on the smaller stuff.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

What variety of "hickory" might that be? Doesn't look like any I'm familiar with.

• love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited May 2021

Sorry, There’s a couple of big rounds of maple on top. Pig nut trees are very rare around here. My grandma would make pecan pies using pig nut instead of pecan.

We have what’s called smooth bark and shaggy bark hickory.

Here’s the biggest smooth bark hickory I have ever seen. Unfortunately, it appears to be dying. Some years it literally rains nuts. It’s at least 38” in diameter.

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭

You may be correct love2shoot. I dropped one out back last year about a 28" dia. No way I would try to use a maul to split it even I was years younger! I'll be thanking mother nature next winter.

It's too late for me, save yourself.

Several years ago I bought a dump truck load of hickory. I let it dry for two years and then I started burning it in the wood stove. At around 27 million BTU per cord hickory is about the best firewood you can get.

As I began bringing the hickory into the house, I noticed a fine powder type of sawdust on the bark. One stick of wood might have a couple tablespoons of this powdery sawdust. I looked and I saw many holes in the bark. I looked it up and these are hickory bark beetles. They are commonly found in hickory. I did go ahead and burn up all that wood but I have not had that problem with the powdery sawdust with other species of wood.

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

I've split a lot of hickory by hand. Not something I would care to do now with my shoulders the way they are.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******

The hardness to split reminds me of trying to split ELM. My heavy sledge would bounce off the maul hitting that stuff! Another wood we have here in Michigan which is quite hard is Locust. It also has thorns and can get you bleeding when working with it. The stuff does put out a lot of heat though!

• diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

We have a lot of elm in Iowa, also.

Red elm is great wood. Chinese elm is refered to as pisselm, because that's what it smells like.

Love black locust also. Ran one of those thorns completely through my foot when I was 5 or 6, out fishing with my gramps.

He pulled it out with pliers, and went back to fishing, so I did also.

Don't remember mom being to pleased when we got home.

I cut up a lot of locust. Great firewood, even better than hickory. The biggest I ever cut up was 22 inch diameter and it was easy to split. I love that locust but, 20 years ago the blight swept through the NC mountains and killed all locust. Got about one more year of burning that and then, it will be gone the way of the passenger pigeon.

• love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Honey Locust has the thorns, not Black.