In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BREACHER

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

My new shotgun arrived yesterday and it has one of those breacher tips on the end of the barrel. Ain't that cool????

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Oh hay, while we are talking about my new shotgun, this stick was used as a plug in the magazine tube. What do you think it is?? It is 8 3/8" long and about 1/2" in diameter. I'm thinking African Blackwood.

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I love the stick for a plug.

RLTW

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

Truly a classic outfit.😊. Got to love those old style firearms.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

Looks factory to me.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a PowerPac choke on a JC Higgins. Always thought those chokes were kind of cool because the shot had to cross a gap after it left the barrel before it entered the choke. Not sure why it was designed that way but they worked pretty good. Not sure about what kind of vintage stick you've got there, but I bet it works pretty good too. Bob

• pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

Still have my dad's JCHiggins with that choke. Even have all of the tubes for it yet. Believe they were High Standard if not mistaken. Watched dad get 7 green wings with one shot one beautiful fall day with it.

There is a real good chance your dads shotgun was made by High Standard. The choke was manufactured by Pachmayr. The tubes for the choke are getting harder to find and are getting pricier every year. You are fortunate that you have a complete set and don't have to search for any. Bob

• pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

I don't remember him ever using anything but the Modified, other ones might have never had a load through them.😊

Well before steel shot came on the scene.

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭

The Model 20 JC Higgins pump was a Hi-Standard for sure. Sold mine that was flawless about 10 years ago. Wished I had it back.-----------------------------Ray

High Standard model 200. I tore this one completely apart yesterday, got got all the gunk out and she is just what you would expect from any old HS product. I only have one choke tube but it is the "Short Range" which is the one I want. After I test fire it at home, she will live right here behind my right shoulder, loaded with Federal's finest 00 Buck. I was going to cut the barrel from 26" back to 18 or 19 but it is too nice to do that, and I like my "Breacher". I didn't need another shotgun but for $260.00 I couldn't say no.

Too bad its not a .410 then it would actually kill something.

RLTW

I wanted a Taurus the Bull Judge revolver cause it is really a shotgun that real judges wear in court under their robes and would wipe out the entire jury if need be. The .410 buckshot load is a terrible thing and will drop a 200 lb. drug crazed killer with a machete like a sledgehammer from 50 yards. Of course if you are hunting a 150 lb. whitetail you need a .300 mag.

I agree the Taurus Judge is a real killer. I think they load them with Pitbull teeth soaked in covid-19 and AIDS.

I would never hunt deer with anything less that a 338 Win Mag.

RLTW

But, but, but... I finally made up my mind about 9mm vs 45 and now you tell me about this bestest and more gooder round. My indecision has become paralyzing and I may have to pull a Biden and never come out of my basement. Bob

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭

now, now boys stop the arguing we ALL know the real killer is the lethal 243, killer of all things evil, small and large.......

Ricci you should load it with low brass #8 dove and quail loads, that stuff is like someone throwing a killer bee nest at you and it doesn't over penetrate so your neighbors will be safe from you blasting away.

RLTW

• Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a Win Model 12 with a similar compensator, Cutts type with 4 tubes.

This model 12 will hold 7 2 3/4 inch shells, and I have a Hickory stick in the spring for a plug. Hunted with it for several years as a teenager, did not know it was suppose to be plugged for some things being hunted and did not have a hunting lic until I was about 21. Had to get a lic then to go to a shotgun and slugs only deer hunt area.

It's deadly on deer with both slugs and 00 buckshot.

Can shoot that gun faster than a auto operates, just hold the trigger down and pump.

That Model 12 is still a game getter today. It's a keeper.

Sure thankful that a Game Warden Possum cop cannot cross examine that old Model 12, 12 gauge gun.

Put up a picture of your gun when you get it back together?

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

I like the old guns and if only they could tell the stories about there history

I recall when I was about 12 , my dad had traded for a single shot 12 ga had a aftermarket choke set up, he hack sawed it off to sell it said no one would buy it with the choke set up .. to this day that has always puzzled me , so cut the choke off screw in a brass screw ( maybe it came from a light switch filed down ) to sell a gun for 25.00 or so ( maybe less back then ) but at the time who was I to question my dad on a gun

he on very rare occasions maybe once every few years would buy a gun 99.9 % were old single shots and a few 25 autos tossed in along the way ( he always had a 25 auto to keep in the car ) and then sell it make 5 or 10 dollars . but to some one who had little it made it worth wile and fun and he enjoyed the little things in life making a couple dollars he was on top of the world .