In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Handgun scope or red dot......

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2021 in General Discussion

Picked up a new to me Ruger Super Redhawk recently. I figure it will make a great backup when whitetail hunting this fall or even as my main firearm if the right opportunity is there.

The age old issue is an old man's eyes. The standard sights are great for some range use but in low light, there is no way I can pick them up fast enough...

I am considering a handgun scope or red dot sight. I have used both in the past and have a decent grasp of the pro's and con's for both....

So looking for some input from those of you handgun hunters out there on what's worth mounting these days. What sights or scopes are you using ? My old Tasco PPII finally croaked after 20+ years

Thank you for the assistance.....

Comments

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

I went with a aimpoint red dot on my 500 for me picking up the cross hairs in a scope was a lot slower. Not certain but I think it was the 9000l and so far it has held up to the 500 I have destroyed several scopes and red dots with that gun

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

I would go with some type of dot sight.

• redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭

I just put a micro red dot on my FNS and I love it!

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Can't go wrong with a Holosun red dot and solar charging. The battery NEVER dies.

• festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

I have a Burris Fastfire 3 on a S&W 629 and have been pleased with it . Same reason as you said, old eyes.

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

With the advances in tech I would go with a red dot or holo sight.

As a life long handgun hunter I used scopes but I found out quick any magnification over 2x is pretty much useless from a field rest, so the advantage of magnification really doesn't play into it. What you really want is a single focal plan to make the shot easier and more precise and a red dot/holo sight does just that.

RLTW

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

I have a scope on a 629. The issue for hunting is small field of view.

I’ve killed deer with my SRH .480 Ruger with a Millet red dot.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

as others have said and from my personal experience, once eyes go and you need bifocals even the crosshairs in some scopes are blurry or hard to see if really fine, I find the reddot or even some of the cheaper reflex scopes suit my needs much better, I use the reflex with the 4 different images, it is also red or green, works well on my 357 rifle for inside 100 yards which is about all I use it for anyway, also have one on a break barrell pellet rifle and the squirrells are allready regreting it. I also put one on my 12 ga 870 I use the circle witht he dot in center, now all I have to do is get squirrel, rabbit or even turkey head in the circle and the shot pattern does the rest........