In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Chicken coop bandit 0, me 1

Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

For two days in a row about 4 pm I would go to the coop to get eggs and was surprised by this guy, he was near the coop under a bench I have near it. So the next couple of days I had my Savage 22LR bolt gun ready and I wait about 60 feet away, but he doesn't show up... 3rd day I figure he must of moved on so didn't have the gun and of course there he is, so I go back in the house grab the rifle and come back out and he's no where to be seen as I walk toward the coop. I figured ok he saw me and ran off again, but just as I'm about to put the gun away, out of the corner of my eye I see him coming out of the coop I let him get clear of the coop and pow! OK it's a 22LR so maybe more of a pop! LOL anyways he lost! I don't kill the critters around here unless they become a problem, he fit that bill.

Comments

• diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

Nice.

I loose a few chickens every year to those vile creatures. Skunks and oppossums get a pass, now days. But not those.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

OMG! You killed Kenny!

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Time to make you a coonskin cap!😀 Bob

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

OMG will he be ok? Hopefully that'll buff right out.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

They are DESTRUCTIVE and deadly to chickens. I have used arm traps with marshmallows in them to catch the vermin. The cats and dog do not eat marshmallows but the raccoons can't resist the sweets. The arm trap trigger lets them get their whole paw in the trap when it springs the trap holds but does not cause harm to it. The harm is done by me with a 10-22.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Most destructive critter round.

The breed like flies and the hycoon hunters are becoming less and less.

Down east the hog farmers were getting a bad rap for polluting the small steams with waste runoff.

Turns out the raccoons were using the water as a porta potty while they searched for food.

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭

I knew "Reckless" but not Kenny😉

• ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭

I smoked one once, the fat kept it moist and it was some of the best meat I've had. Wouldn't eat a city * though.

• mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭

I agree about best taste when smoked over slow hickory wood smoke

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

we have always had them wonder thru and some times set up home .

per my wife I started live trapping in place of of my standard DRT habit but then one decided chicken dinner was too good and a few days later found his way back . so I just slid the door closed on him and I. and well he stopped eating chicken that day .

we have our two token skunks that have been here several years they steal a egg on occasion but mostly eat the cat food we put out for the cats ( who eat side by side with them ) they are content to behave so for now they get a pass

and I think the skunks keep the racoons away as silly as that sounds , as I have not seen a racoon since the skunks moved in lowering the neighborhood standard's LOL

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

You should have put him in the chicken lot when dead.

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

Thanks for all the humorous posts. I had posted it on my FB before here and got the "is that for dinner" from my wife and others similar to what you guys posted... One of my sisters in California said "it looks like it is sleeping" I replied yeah I gave it a copper plated sleeping pill!

No I will not be eating it as the buzzards and ants cleaned it up in less than 48 hours, no coonskin cap either as they didn't leave much...