In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Update on Texas Constitutional Carry

Yesterday, Friday May 21, conference committee finished their work on language acceptable to the conferees regarding Texas HB 1927. The compromise language now heads back to both Texas House and Senate for approval. The bill has already passed both chambers so only the new language need be approved and normally, once worked out in conference, this is a slam dunk. Lt. Governor Patrick said Friday afternoon the language would be ready for the Senate floor sometime early in the week. This is the last week of session so it's this week or wait at least another two years. If it passes both chambers, which seems likely, it then heads to Governor Abbott's desk for signature. HB 1927 will then become law on September 1, unless designated an "emergency" and that doesn't seem likely. Looks pretty good but I'm gonna wait to celebrate (even though I'll keep and renew my CHL).

Comments

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,345 ******

I got an email this morning from GOA saying it went to Gov desk and when signed goes in to effect Sept 1st.

• Options
    TXBryanTXBryan Member Posts: 26 ✭✭

It is official. House approved late Sunday night and Senate yesterday. Headed to Gov, Abbott for signature.

Love to see sanctuary state status pass as well but that may remain with local jurisdictions in Texas.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TXBryanTXBryan Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited June 2021

Sanctuary status passed the Texas Legislature as well as Constitutional Carry. Already a Second Amendment "sanctuary state" by Governor Abbott's executive order the action of the legislature strengthens Texas' status as a sanctuary. It's actually a pretty impressive bill but it does, however, have limitations. The following is from Gun Owner's of America - Texas Chapter; an organization that worked very hard to help pass Constitutional Carry and Sanctuary.

This legislation is generally intended to keep our state from being complicit in future Federal gun-control schemes.

It obviously has limitations:

• It does not stop our state or local government from infringing on our gun rights
    • It does not do anything to curb existing infringements (federal, state, or local)
    • It does not stop the Federal government from enforcing their own laws

It simply says that our state people and resources will not be used to help the Federal government enforce their laws that don’t exist in Texas law.

Most bills do not contain any individual criminal penalty for officers who violate it. Instead, they prohibit state and local entities from enforcing the laws, they remove funding from entities that violate this law, and they provide a way for the Attorney General to enforce this law through court action.

It's all a step in the right direction I think.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,345 ******

Gov Abbott signed it into law yesterday.