In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Posting Pictures with Serial Number On It.

antiglockguyantiglockguy Member Posts: 16

I'm new to Gun Broker, and I'm kinda of concern of posting pictures of my handguns with the serial number expose. Is this a no- no? Should I cover them or let it be to gain buyers confidence? I'm also an non licensed seller, I just wan to take the safe route.

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin

Well, there are two thoughts on that. There are those like me who say post up the s/n. Then there is the group that thinks that if you post the s/n somebody is gonna see it and call the cops, and say "that guy stole my gun".

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

I post mine. If someone makes a claim, which has never happened to me they better have a great papertrail to prove that it is theirs. I would say offhand that if it makes you feel better cover that last two and then if a prospective buyer is interested as when the item was made that would be enough to tell them. imo only.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Personally I would be concerned if the serial # is hidden. Is the seller just being cautious or does he have something to hide? You didn't mention long guns but some of those, like the mod12 Winchester, have the serial number both on the action and the barrel assembly. A collector does not want a mismatched cobbled together example so showing those numbers is a must. Bob

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******

If it's mine, I show the serial number, and even state it in the item description.

I do accept consignment items from one client who does not want the serial numbers on his guns published. I respect his wishes and only show a partial number.

• antiglockguyantiglockguy Member Posts: 16

Thanks for the awesome replies guys, your a great community. I was just feeling hesitant about the serial numbers because some places, like the Calguns forum, recommends hiding the numbers.

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭

To borrow lines from a song-

"Paranoia strikes deep

Into your life it will creep

It starts when you're always afraid

Step out of line, the men come and take you away"

I have never found a case of someone claiming that "He stole my gun" based on nothing but a photo of a serial number. If anyone has actually personally experienced that, would appreciate it if they would share. Falsely reporting a crime is a crime in itself, and the folks here WILL put your stupid butt in jail for that.

Ain't saying it has never happened- but will say I have never seen it.

• armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭

There are a couple of guns I'm looking for that have a specific serial number and I will only buy that particular serail number.

• roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭

Alternatively I have heard of counterfeiters using the seriel numbers for their production. There are many sweat shops in Asia making guns, I would just place an xx in the last two digits. That way the general number is available for dating etc

ex Sharps 1863 C6659xx will give the buyer info but not allow a counterfeit shop to reproduce a bunch of guns they know have a legit S/N that will not come up on the stolen list.

the criminal element is exploiting this www all day and night

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

I’ve only had a problem once and it drug on for several months. I’d listed a Daewoo DR300 as a parts gun as there was no bolt.

A guy contacted me and claimed it was his gun … that he’d sent it in for repairs and the gunsmith/FFL had it for over a year and couldn’t get parts for it … finally returned it to the owner … but he had moved.

Long story short, I contacted the gunsmith/FFL explained the situation and inquiring about the serial number. Fortunately he remembered it and got the info from his records after several weeks and sent it to both of us …

It turned out the guy had transposed two digits in the serial number.

It turned out okay for me of course, but I was on pins & needles for several months and it was weird that he had sent his off for repair for a broken bolt.

If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
This discussion has been closed.