In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CA Seller Shipping To CA Buyer Question

antiglockguyantiglockguy Member Posts: 16

A potential bidder asked if I'm willing to ship my gun within CA. Is it possible for me to ship it within CA? I have a Glock for auction and it comes with 3 magazines and a few upgrades, it comes with night sights, sandpaper grip, and extended mag release. Is it possible for me to ship it or do I have to put the factory parts back on the Glock to ship it? And shipping would be cheap? Any answers help.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited June 2021

There's work involved. First, the Glock must be an exact model listed as Certified for Sale in CA. No Generation 4 or Generation 5 Glock handguns have been approved, otherwise look at this list:

Handguns Certified for Sale | State of California - Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

If your pistol is not on this list, the buyer's dealer cannot transfer it. If it is approved, there is no reason to remove any of the upgrades, but no magazines above 10 rounds should be shipped with the gun.

For a private party, shipping a handgun is never cheap. You're limited to FedEx or UPS with air shipping at around $70 minimum. Many sellers get around this by having an FFL dealer mail the pistol- only FFL dealers can send handguns through the mail. The problem here is that in CA, dealers have to be registered with the CA DOJ and get a DOJ approval letter (an invoice actually) in order to ship firearms into the state. That rule only applies to firearms dealers, it does not apply to private parties. Regardless, many FFL dealers don't want to get involved with shipping into CA.

Honestly, even if your Glock is on the CA approved list, shipping a single pistol into CA is probably going to be more time and trouble that it is worth. It's your call.

• antiglockguyantiglockguy Member Posts: 16

My Glock is a Gen 3 CA certified, and it only comes with 3 ten round mags. My plan is to ship it through Fed EX or UPS, but I was unsure about shipping it in California. I guess my only way around this is to ask an FFL dealer if he can ship it for me within the state. That's the sum of it right?

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

In that case, there's no problem with the pistol or the magazines. You can ship it yourself FedEx or UPS, but it's pricey. If you can can find a dealer registered with the CA DOJ and who is willing to mail the pistol for you, it might be cheaper. Your call.

I got it, that clears up everything for me, thanks Mark 👍️

Always happy to help. And thanks for being willing to consider selling to CA. The folks back there appreciate it.

edited June 2021

One more question, I see a list of rates from Fed Ex that can ship cheaper within CA for 2-Day AM $44.36 and Fed Ex Express for $37.96. Does shipping take longer with these low rates? And are there risks?

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭✭

I believe from reading his post he is a California guy so I'm guessing if he owns it there it is legal in Cali.

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭

FedEx and UPS require that handguns be shipped Next Day Air. That is not a law, it IS company policy.

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭

Federal law requires that you notify a common carrier that your package contains a firearm. That gives them the opportunity to keep it in the "valuables locker", get it delivered as soon as possible, & make sure that they get a delivery signature from an adult. Lie to a common carrier about the contents of your package, & it might get left on the door step by the driver. If the gun you shipped then gets into the wrong hands (a juvenile, a felon, or a crazy person), you can expect to be charged by the feds.

I hate prison food, so I don't play stupid games with the fellas with the bulges in the cheap suits.

Neal

Thank you for clarifying it, saves me the trouble.

This discussion has been closed.