In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Black powder chamber 50-90 can you

roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭

Shoot 50-70? , I understand some leading may occur but ?

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

The 50-70 Govt is .007 larger bullet diameter than the 50-90 Sharps. If it will chamber it is your decision to shoot it. With black powder and a lead bullet it is probably safe to shoot in a strong action. Just my opinion.

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Been shooting 50-70 in both an original Allin Trapdoor and a USA Rem Rolling block for years. Both with 450 gr bullets sized to .510 and SPG lube. 65- 70gr compressed FG with a with my own bees wax cookies. Never had an issue and load is very accurate considering the crude iron sites on these original rifles. This load will bring down anything with a well placed shot. Usually punches right thru any large game.

The 50 cal bullet is already the diameter you want just about any bullet to expand to. Too bad the 50-70 never crossed over to smokeless like the 45-70.