In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Blue gill fisherman.

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2021 in The Fishing Hole!

I did not know that most people around here cast nets to get bluegill fish for bait. Too hell with that! I love pan fried bluegill as food for me to eat.

I get the Pontoon boat Wednesday and plan on fishing this weekend. It is HOT summer now.

Where should I fish for them in a lake? What is the best way to find them? Bait is easy, worms, bobber or light jigs. I have so little experience with Ohio fish it makes me a true newbie.

I have tons of tackle but finding where to fish a lake is my issue.

Words of wisdom are appreciated!

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

My guess would be early morning and at dusk or dark. Probably around any kind of structure, trees, docks, etc. Or put three five pound bluefish in there and they will eat every other fish in there.

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

Every lake has different structure....I usually look for some rocks along the bank and snags/limbs in the water. Also edges of lily pads works for me...If all else fails, ask the old timer in the bait shop where to find them on his lake....most of those guys will be very helpful...

I caught 15 the other evening in about 10 minutes on a small roadrunner jig with a white tail jig.....depending on water color, I will use green or blue skirts also. The fun thing with using jigs is I will also catch crappies and bass too....

Good luck !!

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Our pond used to have some amazing bluegill that would overlap your entire hand if laid flat on your palm. Alas we had a winter kill from heavy ice that came early and stayed late about 20 years ago. I restocked both bluegill and bass but it has never been the same. I primarily use a size O Mepps spinner or a small road runner type jig. I never was very good at just sitting and watching a bobber. Here in Michigan there are still just a few on their beds so I would concentrate on the edges of weed beds and around any structure in the water like dead falls or even docks. And yes it don't get much better than a crispy fried mess o'gills. Bob

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I will refrain from asking the size of your breasts since this is a moderated forum with decorum and manners at the top of the list. But, is the left nipple hanging much lower than the right???

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Why did you have to go and ask him that! Some things are better left unknown.😀 Bob

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

I like using Berkley 2" Gulp Minnow with a 1/64 oz shad dart jig head. Fish with a float and if bite is slow tip with a maggot.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭

you could try veto lake Bruce, not sure of motor size on it though, may have to use trolling motor only, it should be full of bluegill......

• Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

...Buddy of mine has a big lake on his ranch (5-6 acres), full of bass/channel cat/crappie, and HUGE perch/brim/ bluegill...whatever you want to call 'em...for fun all the bass are thrown back, (catch & release), biggest bass was a bit over 13 lbs...for "eating" fish, we fish for the channels/crappie and perch...a LOT of 3/4 to 1 lb perch, super eating fried up coated with corn meal...IF perch grew up as big as bass, there would be "perch clubs" around here and not "bass clubs".... super fighting fish for their size! I like to use an ultra light rig on 'em, they are a hoot!...

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

Depth and structure. Most will hang out at the same depth. Once you find it, fish structure at that depth. Depth will depend on the time of year and the lake. During hot summer months they will sometimes be very finicky. While red worms, night crawlers or crickets are your main bait for blue gill sometimes you need smaller offerings. 2 lb line with ice jigs fit this bill, tip with a meal worm and fish it under as small a bobber as will float it, I usually use an ice fishing bobber.

The above mentioned small spinners and jigs work when they are hungry and are a lot of fun. When it's slow you have to put bait right in front of them.

Depth and structure once you find the combo for the day fill the live well.