In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Drought’s Toll on U.S. Agriculture Points to Even-Higher Food Prices

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Went to go buy a brisket for The 4th of July festivities but they are charging 8.00dollars a pound now and whooping 80.00 dollars for the average Brisket!. it's only going to get worst as time passes.

serf

https://www.wsj.com/articles/droughts-toll-on-u-s-agriculture-points-to-even-higher-food-prices-11625137201

The current drought is on pace to be one of the worst ever. One of the hardest-hit states is California, home to about 70,000 farms and ranches with a combined output of about $50 billion a year. The dairy industry accounts for the largest chunk of the state’s agricultural revenue, followed by almonds and grapes.

Comments

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭

Biden and the DEMOCRATs are doing a dam good job of raising prices on groceries drought aside, and they are blaming Trump for it.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

walmart sadlers brisket smoked ,,3.75 Lb 39.00 gone in 2 days 😊

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******

Last Fall I paid about the same for tenderloin. 😮

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******

But then our methane emissions would add to all of this global warming BS and we'd really be screwed! 😁

• spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭

really upping the price of good alfalfa here in sc kansas

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

It's hard to say how the 2021 crop season will go. While some of the 'peripheral' states suffered poor weather during planting followed by a late freeze, some of the top producing states had a good planting season and far better weather. Planting reports lean toward average or higher acreages planted to traditional soybean/corn crops so no big surprises there. The MidWest escaped the July 4 flooding that often occurs( a big issue for yours truly). I will say that some areas of Iowa are behind in regards to crop progress but there's still time to catch up.

Cattle producers are beginning to notice shortages in the hay production likely due to the late frost damage early in the season and wind damage last month. My hay harvest is finished and I'm calling it down 10-15%. I had 2020 holdover hay that sold last week because of dry weather pasture conditions in SW Iowa. New crop hay was 'pre-sold' before harvest. Gonna be a lot of flatbed semi's in and out of here over the next couple of weeks.

• gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Local newspaper here in central CA had a story about ranchers selling cattle to get their herds down to a level that they can maintain until we get more rain. So much of the west is dry they can't even move them to better pasture. Most reservoirs only 1/2 full at a time they should over-flowing. Looks grim for farmers and ranchers.

" a story about ranchers selling cattle to get their herds down to a level that they can maintain"

And I'm sitting on 200 acres of pasture (40 cows' worth) that's not been grazed for 2 years because I can't justify the prices of cattle to stock it and local cattlemen don't want to pay rent. I'm NOT going to risk almost $1000 per head on steers or $2500 per for cow/calf pairs when they could just fall over dead at any time. Maybe when the prices hit the basement, I'll own cattle again.

Well, there ain't no drought NOMO. Southern IA and northern MO has been drenched for 3 days totaling up to 10" is some areas. We've had 4-5" with some areas close by getting 6-7" in one downpour. County seat town has pavement dislodged and washed into the street by the force of the deluge. State and county roads partially or totally destroyed.

I'm basically on an island--road is flooded in one direction and mostly washed out in the other. If it's not raining too much today, I'll have to take the skidloader and try to fill the washouts so Grouch Attack can get to work and the elderly neighbors aren't stranded.

If everyone thought the reduced yields due to drought would be problematic, the total losses due to flooding will be catastrophic.

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Well it's not West of the Rockies and close to the continental divide so no water is coming their way from your flood.

serf

Still raining in NOMO. Hoping it will at least slow down for a while. Grandson started his farming enterprise by renting 20 acres from me this spring. As of yesterday, we're writing it off as a total loss. Some of that ground had been planted 3 times and that ain't cheap. Pretty tough way to start.

I'm sitting on $20K worth of hay that can't be moved because the ground is too wet to load trucks and one of the buyers needed the hay a week ago.

You gotta ask yourself which is worse--a yield reduction due to dry weather or a total loss due to flooding?