In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wanted: 1895 Chilean Mauser Bolts in 7.62x51mm NATO

Recently got a few Loewe Berlin Chilean Mausers for cheap, but for some reason they're rebarreled for 7.62x51mm. The only part missing is the bolt assembly, and obviously the original 7x57mm bolts don't really fit. If anybody has any 7.62 bolts for the Mausers, I would be very interested in purchasing them, as I just like having completed antiques to hang on my wall.

Thank you!

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

The rim diameter of the 7x57 is .004 larger than the 7.62. The 7mm Mauser bolt should be fine.

• asparagustastyasparagustasty Member Posts: 22

Thank you for this insight! In that case, I'll look for some regular surplus 1895 Chilean Mauser bolts and try them out. Upon further reading, apparently my 1893 Spanish Mauser bolts that I had on hand don't fit into the Chilean Mauser receivers because of the shape of the bolt chin rather than some modification they made during conversion into 7.62. I didn't know that the rim diameter of the 7x57 was just marginally larger than the 7.62's (guess I learn something new every day), so that good to know that I don't have to get any special bolts. Thanks again for the help!

• mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭

You can take a 93 bolt that is square on bottom. Round to completely round an it becomes a 95. Bolt. But you still have to make sure that head space is correct. You are putting a higher pressure cartridge in a lower pressure receiver. Be careful

Thank you for the advice! Yup I got myself some go/no-go gauges just to make sure, and definitely I don't plan on firing live 7.62 NATO (heard that they have a chance of destroying the gun and generally risky for the shooter too), though I just like running snap caps through old guns.

I'll definitely try to read up on rounding a 93 bolt into a 95. Thanks again!

• chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭

As I recall these conversions were originally intended to fire the 7.62mm spanish Cetme round which operated around 42,000 psi. I would certainly avoid any 7.62mm NATO or commercial .308 Win.

• hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭

The Loewe Berlin Chilean Mauser 1895 uses a extra shoulder as part of the receiver. Acting as a extra lug for safety, making the 1895 safer than any of the Small Ring Spanish 1893 versions.

Plus made by Loewe, that used quality metal.

Bolts will be tough to find, there is an importer with 100's for sale with no bolts.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

a swedish m-96 bolt may work also

Yup, I definitely saw the 3rd shoulder/locking lug when comparing it to my other small-ring Mausers, although 7.62x51 CETME seems to be a rarity to find atm. I know people just handload 7.62x51 NATO to lower pressures to minimize the risk of injurty to the shooter or the gun, but alas I am not so experienced with handloading.

Surprisingly, it seems that LTC has a bunch of rounded bottom Chilean Mauser bolts in stock, so I just grabbed a couple. The price for the bolts was a little steep (a tad more than the entire rest of the gun itself, but considering that the rifles themselves were only 100 bucks per rifle with only the bolts missing (and also cleaning rod and bolt stop missing for one of them), they still came out fairly cheap for an antique mauser.

• GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

Where are these? ( LTC has a bunch of rounded bottom Chilean Mauser bolts )