In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Silencers on BP question

Ok so a fixed silencer is leagal on bp

now ow my question is can a silencer... or a “solvent trap...” be welded on one of my guns and be legal? Thx in advance

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited August 2021

This works because the device is attached to a Traditions™ Vortek Strikerfire Muzzleloader which is not considered a firearm by the BATFE but falls into the category of an antique firearm...

...not intended or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898). 

...a definition and difference that is very distinct from a firearm.

Because of this, a silencer that is permanently affixed to a muzzleloader is not legally defined as a silencer, since it is not attach to a firearm. 

The device as a stand-alone item is a suppressor, which means that it can't be shipped to you.

If you have an antique rifle, you'd have to send the complete rifle to the manufacturer to have the device permanently attached and then returned to you. In addition, once attached to the antique rifle, cutting the device off of the barrel leaves you with an unregistered suppressor.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Mark, would this include the Remington ultimate muzzle loader and the Thompson Center pro hunter?

If I remember correctly they should be transferred through a FFL even though they are muzzle loaders.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited August 2021

Honesty, I'm not familiar enough with various muzzle loading rifles to draw comparisons between them and the Vortek Strikerfire.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

A customer sent a couple "modern " muzzle loaders for transfer. ATF was just about a clear as mud on how to do the transfer.

Did the 4473 and CMA. Best I could determine they are treated just like any modern firearm.

Now the welded on can might bring up another situation.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭

weld a can on???? that sucker would plug up after a few shots and be the dickens to try and clean, just doesn't make any sense to me, even if you muffled the noise the smoke would give you away..............