In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Gout got me

Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Word of warning gents, with our recent heavy snowfall and working all day to clear it, I came down with a bad case of the gout. I eat fairly healthy, doc this morning said too much Uric acid in the blood got me. I worked on the snow about 14 hours, he asked how much water I drank all day? (2 glasses) and did I sweat? (soaked through 2 T-shirts under my fleece) and are my muscles sore? (I hurt all over).

He says hard physical work breaks down your own muscles and that loads you up with uric acid, then too little water to rinse out my blood was what got me. Owww!

Y’all be careful out there as winter approaches. It’s easy to forget this.

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the tip. I am terrible at staying properly hydrated. Even after two bouts of kidney stones and being advised that drinking more water can help prevent them. I guess I am hopeless because even excruciating pain doesn't change my bad habits. Bob

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭

I had gout twice. The first time was when I was going to drive for 4 hours. It was in my right big toe. I was never so thankful for cruise control. I did a little research and found out that drinking cherry juice will help a lot by blocking a reaccurance.

I drink 3-4 oz. every morning and I haven't had an episode in over 9 years.

I hope you can get it under control, it's a pain like no other.

Joe

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭

get better soon and "be care full out there " to quote a old hill street blues line

I had in my left foot a few years ago . I felt like cutting my foot off with a hand saw would have been less pain full .

one more thing I hope to never have again

• grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭

I suffer from chronic gout. Doc prescribed 50mg Indomethacin (he has gout, too), which gives me relief in about 1 hour when it hits. I keep 3000mg tart cherry capsules on hand, too. I try to drink a lot of water and cut back on the red meat, but as I explained to the doctor, I'm a carnivore! Have 3lbs of venison backstrap thawing right now. I'll chase it with meds and enjoy it anyway.

• sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

My wife's "lawn god" hasn't shown up for the last month. Place was lookin like heck so I spent a full day tryin to make it look a little better. LOTS of time on my feet, up n down ladders, etc. Next day my plantar fasciitis went crazy. Hadn't noticed it in months. I drank lots of fluids too. Does beer count?

Arrivederci gigi
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******

Dang, take care yourself better.

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Well at least I’m not the only one with gout. Y’all be careful out there!

@sxsnuf I learned years ago that money spent on good shoes more than pays for itself. Semi rigid soles and good arch supports make a huge difference. For me, Keen Siskayou seem perfect. Then I can run up and down ladders and mow side hill all day.

I wear heavy rigid Montrail mountaineering boots in the woods and found Birkenstock makes white deerskin insoles that fit inside. Once they break in there’s nothing more comfortable.

Dragging this back on topic, what did I have for footwear today with the gout? Hawaiian flip flop sandals. Zero pressure on the sore spot!

• Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

College roommate exposed me to TB. Caught it early thanks to Army testing but 18 months of (IIRC) INH took care of TB but left me with elevated uric acid which wasn't caught until Gout hit several years later.

For those who haven't had it it's like a rusty nail being driven into your big toe joint. ANY movement, vibration, contact, etc. lights you up. I wouldn't wish it on anyone (Except maybe pedophiles and some politicians🙄)

Doc gave me a medicine to lower uric acid and I took it for years and never had a problem. Quit taking it sometime in the last couple of years in the confusion of other health problems for both me and LOML but haven't had a recurrence.

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭

Even laying on your back in bed, with a sheet covering your toe it is absolutely unbearable.

joe

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

I'm lucky, I live in Alaska and I'm surrounded by 30 degree saltwater. If it gets too bad just shove your foot in there for 20 minutes.

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

Alopurinol is your friend.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

I drink a gallon of water every day.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain