In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Republican-Led Bill To Legalize And Tax Marijuana

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2021 in Politics

This is your dysfunctional government at work.The only way this will work is if and only a cashless society is in place to gain the tax revenue on the users. California cannot stamp out illegals sales even now.

May as well get stone to in order to accept the coming crisis that is coming, you think? I wonder how firearm purchases are going to work after the power grab too.

serf

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/republican-led-bill-to-legalize-and-tax-marijuana-emerges-as-alternative-to-democratic-measures/

A new Republican-led congressional marijuana legalization bill is imminent, Marijuana Moment has learned. The measure is being framed by advocates as a compromise between simple descheduling as proposed by other GOP lawmakers and wide-ranging comprehensive legislation that Democratic leaders are championing.

Marijuana Moment obtained text of the draft legislation, which is being led by Rep. Nancy Mace (R-SC). The measure, titled the States Reform Act, is currently being circulated among stakeholders for feedback and is therefore preliminary, but a final version is expected to be officially filed later this month.

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

What a mess this country is in .

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

I don't use it, don't like the smell of it and don't like to be around folks that are stoned. That being said, I am all for the legalization and taxation of marijuana. We already have similar taxes and laws in place for alcohol and arguably it is more dangerous than pot. If it is legal then just like booze, some will use it and some won't. Some will use it to excess just like an alcoholic does with booze, but most won't. If legal it might cut back on smuggling just like booze smuggling pretty much stopped after prohibition was repealed. Gee, wouldn't that be awful if we deprived some Mexican drug lord part of his income?. Bob

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

The government will just tax it so high the illegal market will continue. So we will have the negatives of both the legal market and the illegal with no net positive improvement.

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Plus the potency of this new grass is way higher than the stoners had at Woodstock.It's not a harmless high over time. Plus it can last longer in the body to metabolize than alcohol.

serf

• sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

I think it should just be legalized. Why does everything from liquor to cigarettes to underwear to home heating oil to tires to the lottery have to become a cash cow for government??

Arrivederci gigi
  • mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

morals are out but sin is in

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭

I feel like it's been coming for a very loooong time.......TOTAL capitulation in the "War On Drugs"

Seems like our, and our ancestors, "Moral Convictions" have slowly, but surely, been axed on the chopping block that is...........................................................TAXES!!!!!!

Sadly........my pitiful $0.02 .

• pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

Congress has their own addiction, spending money they don't have. They will pretty much do anything for their next "fix"

History tells us that prohibition failed with alcohol. It actually increased demand and made a very wealthy criminal class. It caused numerous deaths from violence and also from the consumption of dubiously made bootleg booze. The prohibition of drugs has done exactly the same thing and has caused more harm than good. I highly doubt you will find fentanyl laced pot sold in a retail establishment and I doubt if those retail establishments will have turf war shootouts. This may be anecdotal, but since Michigan made recreational use legal I have not seen an increase in usage. I still worry more about drunk drivers than pot users. Bob

Yep and that will be a Fed Now electronic transfer of all purchases with a cashless society to track all the transactions fo further scrutiny and divination.You ask what is next ? Here you go! See below!

serf

https://www.marqeta.com/resources/resource/the-european-payments-landscape-in-2030

Will AI replace the need for financial education? 

According to the survey, only 22% of respondents would be comfortable with AI selecting the most ethical way to pay. However, The emergence of smart, AI-driven wallets as a mainstream form of payment raised an engaging debate among experts around the future role of financial education.

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

Typical Washington - substitute one form of control to another.

De-criminalizing only would allow normal banking practices for pot growers and seller. There is a huge semi-underground economy that governments feel a need to control.

Probably better they leave it alone than get involved this way.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭✭

Can we afford to have more drivers under the influence? Ninety percent of these dip sticks are on their phones now!

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

One the one hand, and primarily I agree, but having this black market remain legal and unscrutinized would be a very convenient way for congress critters and the TLAs to launder money without purview or oversight of any kind.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭

Good. It's way past time for marijuana to be removed from the federal schedule and let the individual states handle it as they will.

The most rabid anti-pot "Reefer Madness" idiots I know are also the hardest drinkers I ever met in my life.

Remember this - In the history of medical documentation, Marijuana has never been found to be the Primary cause of any death.

• pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around drawing a hot gas into one's lungs is good for anyone, regardless of the source.

How is that? If you are intoxicated on high grade marijuana and you kill yourself and others driving on the streets than it cause a death because of it's use and consumption. Medical speaking, it made the person unable to drive. Approving a new recreational drug to be used freely on the public roads is just as deadly as alcohol is insane.

So how do you measure the use of it on the roads? You don't unlike Booze which is removed from the body in 24 hours.

serf

• Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭

When you smoke pot.. you are relaxed and laid back.. unlike cocaine... which everybody is on anymore.. even the judges and lawyers.. they stay so wired up on that junk it's scary.. but it does keep them going I guess..

Can refute the evidence, So you make condescending comments. Saying primary in your discussion is fallacious in nature and is double speak.

serf

https://www.weednews.co/strongest-high-thc-strains/

Is Weed Stronger Than It Used To Be?

It certainly is. The THC content of weed has increased substantially over the years. Back in your parents’ day (or your grandparents’ day, or maybe even your own day if you’re a boomer), the average THC content in pot was less than 1%. Today, most strains sold commercially have at least 10-15% THC, and strains twice as strong are commonplace.

There are several reasons for that. Growers now look for strains that contain as much THC as possible; they’re usually unfertilized, female sinsemilla plants that aren’t allowed to produce seeds. There’s also been an enormous increase in the creation of hybrid plants, bred specifically from two THC-high strains to create another with even higher THC content.

Including marijuana in the "war on drugs" has been a total failure. In fact putting it in a forbidden fruit category has probably increased the desire for people to try it. I have stated before that I don't use it or like being around those that do but growing up in the 60s and 70s there never seemed to be a problem for the users to find a supply. Buying it then as well as now has both created and benefitted organized crime worldwide. Because of its illegality we have financed drug cartels in many countries, including our own, leading to deaths and even the funding of terrorists to a small degree.

Yes it is more potent now than it used to be and that can cause problems but will not stop people from using it whether it is legal or not. Just like a small percentage of people abuse alcohol and drive drunk there are a few stoners that will and do drive impaired. But they are already doing this. Studies done in some states where marijuana is legal show an initial uptick in driving while high accidents, but then show a downward trend as the new legal novelty wears off.

By keeping it illegal we are both wasting money and contributing to govt overreach. I would think with your worries about total govt control, you should be relieved that they will perhaps be giving up some control over peoples lives. Yes it will be taxed, but look at it as payback by the users for the billions wasted over the years trying to enforce futile drug laws. How many billions have been wasted incarcerating people whose only crime was to have just enough marijuana to make it a serious felony? Methinks you need to consider all aspects of the marijuana debate and not just worries that reefer madness will occur because of more potent weed. Bob

Medical use only in my view. Only when vehicles can self drive and check driver's sober status should it be allowed for recreational use. Keep the idiots off the road and killing innocence people behind their drug use.

serf

My apologies. My response was a tad harsh and it shouldn't have been - you didn't deserve it. That is not an effective debate strategy. I will strive to do better. Have a great weekend.

I guess you are happy that one of the provisions in the infrastructure bill is mandatory in vehicle alcohol testing. Government mandated technology that will disable your vehicle if alcohol is detected. It is puzzling that you, who is on here warning of govt. overreach and the NWO, would be for this intrusion upon someone's private life. With the abilities of today's vehicles to instantly communicate with the world, do you think any information gathered by this monitoring will stay private? Again, I don't think you have considered all the aspects. Bob

• Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

"And with no decent DUI tests available it's pretty common to be driving down the interstate getting a contact high from the car in front of you. Without an accurate roadside sobriety test for weed"

...They don't need a "sobriety test"...State Highway Patrol can just pull over anyone driving 5 mph in a 70 mph zone.. . if the driver is pie-eyed, eating from a family sized bag of Fritos in his lap, and grinning like a * eating chit , he's royaly stoned..."book 'em Dano"... ☺️

• Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

...Oh my Lord...the short form of "racoon" is freaking banned, get a grip GB...