In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Primers for 22 Hornet

Getting set up for loading 22 Hornet. I have quite a lot of Remington 7 1/2 small rifle primers. Seems most sources recommend Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers and CCI small pistol primers. The load book I have has primers listed for each load none of which are 7 1/2.

Anyone use the 7 1/2 primers for 22 Hornet and if so with what powder, bullet weight and loading? Any issues?

Thanks in Advance for any information.

Comments

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

I may have answered my own questions. Seems the compound is the same in both primers the difference is the cup thickness. The 7.5 is tougher than the 6.5 and is used for higher pressure rounds, So if my rifle will set off the 7.5 I should be able to use it anywhere I could use a 6.5

The rifle is a CZ 527

So I guess I'll have to load a few rounds and see if they work in my rifle.

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭

I have found the same information on the 6.5 vs. 7.5 primers in a book by the old bench rest shooter, Warren Page. I do not have a CZ in Hornet but I do have one in .222 Rem and another in .223. I often use 7.5 primers in those with no issues. My .22 Hornet is a Ruger 77/22. I have read recommendations on using pistol primers for the Hornet and have tried a few loads using Federal 100. There is a small difference. The loads using F100 chronograph 2858 fps with ave. 5-shot group @ .96". Same load with F205 = 2876 fps and 1.13". That load uses the 40 gr. Hornady Vmax and 13 gr. of Hodgdon Lil'gun. I would suggest you try Lil'gun. No other powder I've tried comes close velocity and accuracy wise. And I would also suggest you try Hornady 35 gr. and 40 gr. Vmax bullets.

Of course, in this day and age, you have to use what you have or can get.

I wish you good luck with your rifle.

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

Powder is in short supply I'll be on the look out. In the mean time I have a pound of IMR 4198 and I found some loads in the book I can use with the 7.5 primer and this powder. Not real hot, just a little above 22 mag, but it will get me started.

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

where to start.!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my favorite round to reload and also the hardest round to reload. I say that because, the 22 hornet has the thinnest case wall of any case you will ever reload. Easy to crush if not done properly. Make sure you don't over lube the case. I found a great load for my Ruger 77/22 hornet. I use a small pistol primer, 9 grains of 2400 and a VMAX 40 grain bullet. I have played with the powder charge and this is the best for me. When I first started reloading the Hornet, I crushed a lot of cases. I was getting very frustrated. I found I was using too much case lube on them. After Someone straightened me out, I was off and running. As I went up in grains on the bullet weight, 45, 50 and 55 grain bullets, and adjusted the charge, I found my accuracy not so good. 40 grains seemed to be the ticket for my gun. Yours might vary. I used the Hornady reloading manual for my info. Rocky Raab gave me the insight on what I was doing wrong. I have tried IMR 4198 and lil gun also. I had some decent loads with those powders, but 2400 worked the best. Oakie

• varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

i havent loaded much 22 hornet but havent crushed any cases so far. i too have a CZ 527. im using lil gun and small pistol primers but my results so far are not encouraging. havent fooled with it much in about a year maybe its time to get started again.

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Try the 2400 powder. I wasn't getting the results I wanted out of lil gun either. What grain bullets were you reloading?????

• varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

45 grain sierra. if i remember correctly i think i have a bedding problem. i was getting vertical stringing. i bought a bedding kit but put the rifle up and lost interest, so far.

• RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

Always had good luck with Lil'Gun and small pistol primers, 40 grain V-Max, cleaned inside neck but no lube and no crimp. I found it helped to remember that differences in powder charge, because of the small case capacity, are much more critical than with, say, a 30-06. I often throw my charges on larger cartridges but ALWAYS weighed to within 1/10 grain on my hornets.