In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help!!!! making my own bullets

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I have a ton of pure lead for making my own bullets. What other metals do you add and how do you formulate that???? Such as tin. I read that zink is bad. I also read that you can harden your bullets by dropping them into water from the mold. Been reloading for 45+ years, but never made my own bullets. I have the melting pot, mold and lead. I also have gas checks and so on. Is there a book to buy the learn more??? Any help would really be appreciated. Oakie

PS, I am making 250 grain bullets for my 38-55Marlin.

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

The Lyman "Cast Bullet Handbook" 4th Edition is the first new cast bullet handbook published by Lyman in 30 years. It was written by well-know cast bullet author, Mike Venturino and edited by Thomas J. Griffin. This handbook contains everything a bullet caster ever wanted to know about cast lead bullets in one book. This information includes data for all current Lyman molds and select RCBS, Redding and Lee molds.

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you sir. My father recommended the same book!!!! Both can't be wrong

• Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

I have cast literally tons of lead projectiles in my life...my best advice is to contact a local shooting club and offer to trade the pure lead for wheel weights or wheel weights lead ingots...Muzzle loaders (at least in our area) find pure lead hard to find...Good luck!!!

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

You can mix the pure lead about 50/50 with wheel weights and make a pretty good bullet.Be very careful with molten lead,especially around water.I had lead spattered on the ceiling of my old shop from throwing a bullet in the pot that had mud on it.

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I have about 200 pounds of wheel weights and about a shopping cart full of pure lead. I get pure lead from houses they tear down. My son is a mechanic and gets buckets full of wheel weights.

• Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭

use some lead and some wheel weight

I like a little of some tin , i add some old bullets i had from black powdedays

biggest concern is they are not torqued to soon with the sprue cut. mold needs to be hot but not to hot

#roundwillpenetrate

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Wheel weights need a guy that knows what wheel weights are. Many avoid them.

• roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭

bottom spure cut needs too be done after bullet has solidified

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

I used to roll my own bullets for many different chamberings, but after really looking into it, I decided to give it up. With the cost of molds, finding/buying lead, all the related tools and additives, propane or electricity to melt lead, let alone the health risk of breathing in that nasty stuff for 40+ years I just decided to start buying precast bullets, and I can find more productive ways to spend my time, like shooting. I almost always buy from Oregon Trail Bullets, because they are great bullets at a great price, and they offer free shipping over$150. However, if you have the time and want to do it at home, cheers!!

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭

Cruise on over and join the cast boolits group. Everything you ever need to know about bullet casting in one place . Download and read Glen Flyxwell book From ingot to target . You can't go wrong with this website

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

For use in a rifle you can use wheel weights up to about 2,000 FPS. Make sure you sort the Zn marked weights from the Pb marked ones. That will keep zonk out of your melt. All stick on weights are zink so don't use them.

Not all stick ons are zink . Most ,at least in nc are pure or almost pure lead . Save them for trade with the guys who shoot muzzle loaders

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I am an outside sales rep for a LARGE wholesale tire company. We use tons of wheel weights. I have not seen a Pb stick on wheel weight in five years. Your mileage may vary.