In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

North American fertilizer shortage sparks fears of higher food prices

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

As you sit down to a Thanksgiving dinner today be very thankful for your bounty this time of year.Next year may be very different, however.

serf

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/25/fertilizer-shortage-north-america-farmers-food-prices

North American fertilizer shortage sparks fears of higher food prices

World food prices hit a 10-year high in October, according to the UN food agency, led by increases in cereal crops such as wheat and vegetable oils.

Comments

• Options
    MillironMilliron Member Posts: 271 ✭✭

All tied to price of oil. Maybe the Amish will hit a home run. Can't see the rest of the country adjusting well.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******

Seems like our country is knee deep in fertilizer these days!!

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭

but it is poisoned poop

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭

Dont blame me, I voted for Trump,

• Options
    Floyd621Floyd621 Member Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭✭

Yepp.. people may starve.. but at least they don't have to read them old Mean tweets..

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

"Maybe the Amish will hit a home run."

Don't count on the Amish to help with any possible food shortage which might occur. Keep in mind that Amish operate on a 'subsistence' level of farm production which is similar to most ag production of the early 1900's when the average farmer barely fed himself, his family, and his work animals. Even 50 years ago, the average American farmer fed 25 people besides himself.

The current American farmer feeds an average of 160 people. Returning to Amish level production would result in starvation of as many as 85% of the people in this country. Better be nice to the farmers cause we get to decide which 15% eats and which 85% starves.

• Options

I got my fertilizer bill for the pre-application for the 2022 soybean crop. That alone is approximately 10% of what I paid for the entire farm in 1980.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

Shouldn't titles like this use the word "possible" instead of "fear of" or perhaps nothing there at all "will spark higher food prices" would make sense.

But it seems media and people like to use the word "fear" as much as possible. Even when it is not relevant and misused. Why would one "fear" higher food prices. Not like them, be concerned about paying, and other things but fear I can't see.

Carry on though, sensationalism does seem to be in style.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Just read that the run off of nitrogen from the farms in the mid west is causing the gulf of mexico to get contaminated .

• Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Yep organic

Yep organic farming is going to be the only way to farm but they can only feed four billion people with this new Green deal mandate. That's about 4 billion people that need to die.😕

serf

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

S-F, the gulf used to be fresh water until Minnesota started salting their roads. Ya you betcha!

• Options

"just read that the run off of nitrogen from the farms in the mid west is causing the gulf of mexico to get contaminated ."

Actually most of the nitrate run-off is from metro areas where all the chitty fokes want a nice green yard and over fertilize to make that happen.