In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ready to start making my 38-55 bullets

Comments

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

Let us know how they do.

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

a whole new 'ball game'...........some things to consider

1. dia. to size to (slug your bore) + .001" or 2
    2. lube, type
    3. alloy mix
    4. casting temp.
    5. powder type (black, smokeless, black sub.)
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Mike, Thank you. I got that info pretty much sorted out, But having some casting issues. See my other post. I would like to hear from you. Oakie

• roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭

Made up 30 or so with a mold from a Old Winchester hand loader mold they are about 250 and then IMR 4227 18 gr I love this round.

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I just loaded some 405 grain cast bullets into 45/70 cases yesterday. The load is 35 grains of IMR 4198. It is accurate, easy on the shoulder and leaves no lead in my MGM or TC factory barrel. The MGM barrel shoots about 1/2" better than the factory TC barrel does on the Encore frame. Casting bullets is satisfying, safe and easy. It is also way cheaper than shooting factory bullets so for me it is a no brainer.

• DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

I'm a long time caster.

I've reviewed the other threads, for the most part.

You've been set straight on the alloy.

I'm assuming you have a Lee Sizing die to geaux with that mold. I use Lee sizing dies too.

ETA: I recall you mentioning gas checks, so I could be wrong and you'll be using a lubrasizer, but that isn't a GC mold.

That would mean you are most likely planning on pan lubing. A time proven, reliable method.

I'd like you to consider powder coating instead.

A few reasons I made the switch:

Lubed bullets in NOLA heat don't perform as well as they do at more moderate temperatures. No big deal if you don't store your ammo in the sun, I suppose.

Lubed bullets create a lot of fouling and smoke. A point that's mute if your burning Holy Smoke.

Powder coated bullets can be pushed at higher velocities with no need of a gas check.

Lubrasizers are messy, messy, messy.

I like shooting pink bullets.

It started because Harbor Freight Red Coated too thick, and the White too thin. So I mixed them.

After a bit more than a decade, It's just my thing. People would be disappointed if I didn't show up with pink bullets.

Made a Pink Model 10 revolver to geaux with my pink bullets. Jerry himself signed the inside of the right grip slab at Shot Show.

In any event, give it some thought.

Castboolits.net is a great resource. You can learn everything you would ever need to know there.

Other ramblings:

If your mechanically inclined, drill and tap that Lee Mold for a set screw to keep the Sprue Plate Screw in place.

Keep a bar of 50/50 next to the pot when casting. A little bit melted in can make the difference in how your alloy pours.

Get a Lyman thermometer if you don't already have one. The temp at which your pot melts will tell you your alloy.

Add lead to cool the pot.

Preheat your ingots before dropping them in the pot by setting them on the rim of the pot, if you can.

No water near the pot. You do not want a visit from the tinsel fairy. Put things in the pot SLOWLY.

Have fun. If it's not fun, it's not worth doing.