In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Little info-help casting bullets

So today I started casting some 250 grain 38-55 bullets. I have a brand new Lee molds, and was using wheel weights. I also added (bullet wax)? to the pot, in a small amount. No steel or tin . I checked each wheel weight before I started melting them. No pure lead either.

Here is my question/info that I need. The weight of each bullet is varying. I got anywhere from 248 to 252 grains. Some are dead on and some are within a .5 grains. Am I doing something wrong???? Why the different weights. I made sure the mold was clean of debris each time and my pour was consistent. If I felt I did something wrong or if the bullet didn't come out just perfect, It went back in the pot.

I'm not looking to get it perfect, just within a certain tolerance. Strictly hunting ammo. Not for competition or anything like that. Just want decent groups out to 200 yards.

Should I really be worrying about a grain or two???? What say you

Comments

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I had a good rhythm at the end. When I started, I was like a nerd in a disco, listening to Devo. I ended up like a ballroom dancer at the end. Very smooth and free flowing. If the blocks are over heated, Will that effect the castings?????They are filling out completely. I was thinking that the mold might need to be seasoned???? I followed the instructions and cleaned them fist with a q tip and lighter fluid. I smoked them and followed the directions to a "T", that came with the molds.

• love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Watch the finish on the finished bullets. Shiney is good, dull is getting too hot. I re-flux every 100 casts or when I add metal.

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November 2021

casting is a LOT different than buyng a box of commercial bullets. you are pouring a liquid into a mold and that liquid solidifies almost instantly. you will get bubbles that cause a weight variation. For rifle accuracy I go +- 1 grn. or back in the pot, for handgun it's 'mill run'.

• roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭

i just dropPED MY batch of 375 cast last night , today I will weigh and mic.

in my opinion , plus or minus 3 grain s are just the way mine drop. A bullet driven at 1400 FPS is not going to know the difference in impact

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.