In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

308 NATO LC brass

Gentlemen I am having issues with my 7.62 x 52LC NATO brass it goes into the sizing day and stops about the last inch up yes it’s lubed if anyone can assist me

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

a. wrong lub..........., 'Imperial sizing wax'

b. fired in an oversized chamber

• Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

Most likely fired in a full auto weapon...

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • GrfterDutchGrfterDutch Member Posts: 3

No doubt that this brass could have been run through various types of machine guns. After looking at dozens of videos, seems like I’m the only one having issues. Everyone seems to be using same type of spray lube. I’ve tried two.

• varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

i too have a bunch of that brass fired in m-60s. it is really hard to size, i use the hornady wax based lube. the best advice i can give is what i received right here on this site when i asked the same question. it is not worth the effort and wear and tear on your equipment. i have gone on to better brass.

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

I bought 500 military 7.62x51 brass about 35 years ago.If I remember correctly it was pretty hard to resize and the primer crimp to cut out but I dont recall any that would not go through the sizing die.Could it be yours are having resistance when the de-cap pin makes contact with the crimped primer?Lee makes a manual decapper that you use a small hammer to tap the primer out. It was more work to get that GI brass useable,but most of mine I have reloaded so many times that the primer pockets are worn out and its time for them to go to scrap.I bought 250 already processed military 7.62x51 from a company called Top Brass a couple of days ago and will see how they work out.Good luck with yours.

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭

If you are using a conventional 2-die set, you might try lubing and sizing your cases in the seating die first and then using the sizing die. Be careful not to run them all the way into the seating die or you will get a crimp that you don't want. With shortages and just plain unavailables, it's worth a bit of extra work to salvage what you have. The old WWII home front saying, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" applies!

Good luck.

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

You will find that the military brass is lots heavier in weight than standard brass and if loaded with the same powder grains as standard non military brass will cause a very accurate rifle to produce larger groups due to the decreased internal capacity which will increase the vel and pressure with same amount of powder charge. (sometimes mixed brass, military and standard brass will make a very accurate rifle shoot larger groups if the same amount of powder charge is used and the reloads not kept separated)

Very good advice these guys give.

When trying to re-size the military brass I have to use RCBS case lube on a pad, instead of Imperial (Imperial wax is great and what I normally use for standard brass sizing) and just size a small section of the military case at a time and re-lube and size little bit more and if you do not have a stuck case remover you will eventually need one so buy it now before continuing. Get yourself a RCBS stuck case remover.

Also some sizing dies will re-size easier than others and sometimes the inside of a die needs to be cleaned of the old lube before trying as different lube.

Also the primer crimp will need to be removed after sizing and if you do not have any replacement die primer pins, get some. You will eventually need replacement pins.

After gaining some reloading experience I no longer use military brass and I suspect you will do the same.

Sometimes all I have to offer is experience.