In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scary safety problem.

HwallbangerHwallbanger Member Posts: 48 ✭✭

I bought a Churchill 30-06 with a Timney trigger ,if you happen to pull the trigger just a little and then release the safety the fireing pin falls, scary . What is wrong ,Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

your trigger needs adjustment..........check with timney for instructions

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

Is the safety part of the trigger or a bolt cocking piece type?

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Your trigger has either been misadjusted, modified or wrong from the factory to begin with, and I would contact Timney for guidance. There is also the slight possibility that there is a problem with the bolt, but I would go with Timney first.

• Options
    HwallbangerHwallbanger Member Posts: 48 ✭✭

I can't answer that ,I did disasemble the bolt and the cocking piece end had been ground off the bottom end ,I guess to make the trigger fit and didn't know what they were doing. Bought the gun on an on-line auction .Beautiful gun ,I'll take it to a good gunsmith and see what he can do with it. Thanks for the replies .

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

AGAIN, is the safety part of an aftermarket trigger (Timney or Bold or ??) or is this a safety that engages the cocking piece/striker?????????????????????????

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭✭

A gunsmith should make it right, maybe by replacing what is malfunctioning. I have a Marlin Model 15 with a similar problem. If you have it on safe and pull the trigger really hard, when you release the safety the gun will fire. I also have a Colt Huntsman which will fire with the safety on if you pull the trigger with 20-25 lbs. of force. As you pull the trigger the safety will raise slowly to the 'off' position. Don't trust safeties.

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

check the overt

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

We do need to know if the SAFETY is on the Timney trigger or not? (before giving you any logical advice other than take it to a competent lic'ed gunsmith

Yes, take it to a GOOD gunsmith, not just someone with a Dremel tool and a flat * file.

What you mention is one of the first things I check on a used gun right after checking the headspace. Also have the gunsmith check the headspace on your gun.

I've seen several different models of rifles have that issue, ESPECIALLY Model 70 Winchesters and Remington 700's which are SUPPOSE to be very safe safeties.

Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and as the guys say, never ever trust a safety. It's a mechanical device and can fail at any time.

This discussion has been closed.