In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

32 for squirrel

wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody here ever use a 32 for small game? I have thought for several years about trying this and if I can find a TC 32 for the right price I believe I will jump in.

Comments

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Years ago T/C made Cherokee & Seneca models in the smaller calibers using 13/16 barrel, better choice for squirrels. Hawken models with 15/16 barrels are heavy, more so as the bore gets smaller, and those were scarce anyway. Good hunting

• Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Cherokee with a .36 and a .45 barrel. Wife has a Seneca .36. The .36's have put many a dquirrel on the table.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,364 ******

I've seen the Green Mountain drop in barrels for the TC Hawken and Renegade in 32 cal. bore sizes. YES! They are very heavy! They also are selling for more than an entire rifle once sold for!

I have gone totally custom in my passion for muzzle loaders. Either built myself or have several made by a few talented gun builders. Recently picked up a nice 32 percussion rifle made by the late Carl Van Wezel. It sports a 42" Green Mountain barrel that is 3\4" across the flats and only weighs around 6 1\2 pounds.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭

I have used .36 for squirrels and rabbit. .32 should be fine. .22 worked when I was a kid, though it is faster.