In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old Herters reloading equipment.

I know a woman who's recently widowed. Her husband's reloading bench has an old Herters press, miscellaneous primers, powders, deprimed brass, bullets, shot, shot cups, hulls, shell holders, etc. She's wanting to liquidate everything and says she'll take $200 for all of it, but EVERYTHING has to go. I've been told the opened powder is worthless because you can't be certain that it's actually as labeled. Was also told that there are no dies available that will fit the old press. Is most of this stuff virtually worthless? I'd like to help her get the stuff out of her house, but not sure what to do with it. Any opinions would be welcome.

Arrivederci gigi

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

I recently visited a widow with a friend who was in a similar situation. A former coworker had offered her a figure. We advised her to reject it. I advised that the powder was virtually worthless, but as the rest was of value, one person wouldn't desire each component.

The coworker was going to confer with other reloaders to make a combined offer and divide as needed.

C-list is an option as is a local auction house.

To maximize return, an experienced seller on GunBroker would be 5he best option.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

The first press I ever used was a Herters that my brother bought in probably the mid 70s. It came with a 5/8 adapter and used standard dies. We loaded a ton of ammo on that press and it is still set up on his reloading bench between a Rockchucker and a Dillion. If her press has that adapter then the only other thing to worry about is how complete a set of shellholders are with it. They do take a different style shell holder but adapters are available to use standard RCBS ones. As for the other stuff, I bet it is worth more than you realize. Sure the gunpowder would be best used to fertilize your rose bushes but the rest should be easy to sell. Bob

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭

If any of the stuff is Herters - Lachmiller - other mfg - 16 gauge or 28 gauge dies for that press - I will certainly bid - Best Regards - AQH

• sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

Well, the powder has been moved to my brother's shop. She was married to the man for 40 years and never knew he had gunpowder in the house, so she asked my brother to take it somewhere else. I wouldn't know an "adapter" if it fell on my head. I don't suppose it would be marked 'HERTERS TO RCBS ADAPTER'?🤔

Arrivederci gigi
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Only the box would be marked that way, I might pay $20 for an old Herter's loading press, for nostalgia sake. They are large, heavy , slow to use and use some specific Herter's parts that are hard to find compared to more recent presses. Good luck.

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭

My first press was a Herter's and, yes, they do take a different shell holder than what is now standard. I believe there is an adapter that would allow standard shell holders to be used. They were threaded to take a shotgun shell die but came standard with a bushing that accepts regular 7/8-14 standard reloading dies. They were "C" presses and were somewhat springy for heavy resizing. I would agree with navc130 in that $20 is a maximum price for the press. I gave most of my Herter's stuff away. Herter's dies are useable; I still have a few that I use occasionally. If you are going to pay $200 it would have to be for the other stuff otherwise it's a contribution (not a bad thing). With the current state of reloading components, I wouldn't be hasty about trashing powder.