In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ghost Gun Serial Numbers

grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭

I have a suggestion for numbering so-called ghost guns if they allow the FFL to put the serial no, on them. How about "FJB00001" etc. 😎

Comments

• bitlockerbitlocker Member Posts: 299 ✭✭
    edited April 2022

My listing is ended and that's fine. it's rare now. pending ..............

• sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

So, does the birdbrain's proclamation become effective immediately??

Arrivederci gigi
  • hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Get em while you can...

Today, (April 11 2022) the President and Deputy Attorney General will also announce that the U.S. Department of Justice has issued a final rule to rein in the proliferation of “ghost guns” – unserialized, privately-made firearms that law enforcement are increasingly recovering at crime scenes in cities across the country. Last year alone, there were approximately 20,000 suspected ghost guns reported to ATF as having been recovered by law enforcement in criminal investigations – a ten-fold increase from 2016.[1] Because ghost guns lack the serial numbers marked on other firearms, law enforcement has an exceedingly difficult time tracing a ghost gun found at a crime scene back to an individual purchaser.

This final rule bans the business of manufacturing the most accessible ghost guns, such as un-serialized “buy build shoot” kits that individuals can buy online or at a store without a background check and can readily assemble into a working firearm in as little as 30 minutes with equipment they have at home. This rule clarifies that these kits qualify as “firearms” under the Gun Control Act, and that commercial manufacturers of such kits must therefore become licensed and include serial numbers on the kits’ frame or receiver, and commercial sellers of these kits must become federally licensed and run background checks prior to a sale – just like they have to do with other commercially-made firearms.

The final rule will also help turn some ghost guns already in circulation into serialized firearms. Through this rule, the Justice Department is requiring federally licensed dealers and gunsmiths taking any un-serialized firearm into inventory to serialize that weapon. For example, if an individual builds a firearm at home and then sells it to a pawn broker or another federally licensed dealer, that dealer must put a serial number on the weapon before selling it to a customer. This requirement will apply regardless of how the firearm was made, meaning it includes ghost guns made from individual parts, kits, or by 3D-printers.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

@sxsnuf 120 days from now the way I saw it.

• Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭

What is this going to do to prenumber guns?

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,455 ✭✭✭✭

I hope the courts ( doubtful ) will say no way its a piece of metal / plastic not a firearm you can not make up rules as you see fit to declare any thing a firearm only congress and senate make the laws not the president or the BATF or the DOJ

to make joe average a criminal by saying any thing can be a firearm

so now there declaring its a firearm including any parts or pieces are now all firearms

they do say any FFL or pawn broker . gun smith in possession of said ghost guns or get one in there control have to give it a seral number

not going to end well for gun owners and does nothing to punish the criminals as normal

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

I think they assign numbers sadly

when a FFL I know had a manufacturing licenses ( FFL ) he could put what ever number he wanted and log it in

I would guess its the same with every one ?

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

So say I have some pre 64 Winchester rifles in 22 Rim fire and they never were given a serial number, will I have to have them serial numbered? That would destroy their value.

I have a feeling that a lot of guns found at crime scenes have just had their serial numbers ground off account of they were stolen, and they go ahead and label them as goats guns.

your correct I have heard the count the guns with numbers ground off scratched out are counted as ghost guns like all things what ever it takes to get there numbers for the shock value they just do not go into details

as for your old gun Winchester I think many were made before 1968 ? serial numbers were not a law I would hope they are exempt .

• Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

as for your old gun Winchester I think many were made before 1968 ? serial numbers were not a law I would hope they are exempt .

Do not wake up a sleeping Democrat, please.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭✭

So.......the price of these kits will jump up over what you can buy a GLOCK for.......tell someone that they can't have it, and the want exponentially increases.

• chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭

Square root numbers. The gun grabbers can shove that up their computers.

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

The 20,000 number, from what I understand is those weapons that fall under the FBI definition which includes (and most likely primarily consists of) weapons that have had serial numbers erased or altered.

This is a manufactured issue, and is meaningless other than when viewed as governmental overreach.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele