In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

100 grain cast lead bullet advice needed

So...it's a 30 caliber 100 grain cast bullet. Looking to see what kind of velocity might you require to hunt a whitetail with this load. Obviously I'm looking at 50 yard like ranges here.

Yes I know this is not even close to an ideal load or anything like that. I'm not saying I would do this (I use my 30-06 for whitetail). But I am talking hypothetical here.

Comments

• yonsonyonson Member Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Maybe a little short on details for a definitive answer, but I'll bite. Presuming it's for a 30-30, my old Hornady manual lists loads at 2500-2700 as optimum for the 100 gr. bullet. Personally, I would neck shoot exclusively with such a load (as I do with my own 180 gr. load anyway). It's a good sized target, in side profile.

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

The 110 gr. bullet will do the job with good shot placement. I personally know of a large Whitetail buck taken with a M1 Carbine. As you stated, limited effective range is a factor.

• kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭

My apologies...yes it's for a 30-30. I was just trying to see how fast one can push a 100 grain lead round nose cast bullet before it starts to cause serious letting down the barrel.

I appreciate the replies!

• yonsonyonson Member Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

BTW, if leading is a concern, there is the Hornady #3005 SJ (short jacket) 100 gr. bullet.

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

If it is a Marlin with micro groove barrel you will have issues shoot lead, it will plug up the grooves of not the exact hardness needed or driven too fast. You want less that 2,000 FPS to prevent leading in any event. Does the bullet have a gas check? If not accuracy will suffer badly above 1,500 FPS. There are several molds available in the 150-175 grain realm that will work a lot better than a 100 grain pill on deer. If you insist on using the 100 grain bullet Unique powder will get you good results at all reasonable speeds as posted above.