In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

223 ?

jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Ask the Experts

never owned a 223. i just bought a used one. is there an easy way to tell the rate of twist the barrel has?

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭

Put a tight patch on a cleaning rod, preferably one with a swivel handle, put a little masking tape "flag" on the rod, push it through the barrel. Mark to start and then how far it takes to make a full turn. Measure.

• jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
  • 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭

I've used a VERY old wooden clothes line pin.........for many decades. 😀

Makes seeing one complete turn easy.

Hope this helps.

i determined the twist to be 1 in 9. looking for bullet weight recommendations. i will only be shooting 50-100 yards

• kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

I in 9? Savage says that this twist rate will stabilize bullets weighing from 40 to 75 grains. I find this hard to believe, but that is what they say. So it should be good for any but the heaviest bullets in this caliber.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

"i determined the twist to be 1 in 9. looking for bullet weight recommendations. i will only be shooting 50-100 yards"

For "50-100 yards" any bullet weight will do. I'd stick with whatever weight is cheap, available, and/or shoots best in your barrel. No need at all for the heavier weights. I have a few AR's with 1-9 twist and find they do quite well with 40-60 grain bullets.

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

What is the Model of the gun?

What is the largest animal you will be shooting?

Are you going to reload for the 223?

Reason I ask is your 1:9 twist is geared just right for 60gr and above 223 bullet weights, but if you see some cheaper 50-55 gr and just shooting at varmits buy the cheaper.

If just plinking around at cans and gophers just get the cheapest ammo you can find except stay with Brass hulls instead of the steel hulls.

If shooting at Whitetail deer I use some Speer hunting bullets of 70 gr and also 60 gr noslers.

Summary: Do not use varmit ammo on large game animals.

You will like the low recoil of the 223 and during practice try to keep both eyes on the target at the blast. (keeping eyes on target at the shot is easy to do with most 223's once you become familiar with such)

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

Okie, I respectfully disagree with some of your recommendations. Bullet weight is NOT a good determining factor for hunting use of the .223. There are some 55 grain bullets designed for use on deer sized game.

While I don't recommend the use of a .223 on deer by any but experienced and proficient hunters, the round will kill deer under best case scenario conditions. I use a 10.5" barrel .223 for deer BUT under the right conditions and within strict range and presentation parameters. For this short barrel, I use 55 grain GoldDot factory loads.

Just don't shoot 'em in the butts, guts, or shoulders.

thank all for the input

This discussion has been closed.