In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High Standard Barrel Fitment

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭

I have a fair number of HS pistols going from lever to fixed to "push button" series. I'm always on the lookout for additional barrels. While the lever type barrels always snug in solid the push button types for 102, 103, etc can sometimes have a bit of wiggle when fully seated.

Assuming a strong spring and that the retaining stud is socked down tight, no defect in the barrel or frame - how to eliminate that annoying, ever so slight side to side wiggle?

The wiggle disappears with the slide forward, and I know I could dimple the barrel breech face below the frame line. But I'm hoping there's a trick to tightening using the stud, plunger instead.

Comments

• Options
    John J StimsonJohn J Stimson Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

The lever letter models had barrels that were hand fitted to th eframe and then numbered to the frame.

The lever name models were generally selected for fit with the frame - preocessing practices were improved to allow this.

The 100 and 101 series small pushbutton models did not require fitting or selecting but did not hold the barrel as tightly as one might hope. John Giles did some experimenting with providing a better grip on the barrel.

The 102 through the 107 series used the large pushbutton acting on a mushroom headed stud. Where the bottom of the stud engaged the frame was a close fit pilot that should position the barrel axially. The stack of the manufacturing tolerances was accomodated by the assembler selecting one of three large pushbuttons.

While the majority of the barrels would be properly installed using the pushbutton with the middle dimensions, the other two were needed.

Assuming that no one has fooled with your guns, the pushbutton might not be the correct one. If someone has fooled with the guns, all bets are off. Far too many tinkerers have delusions of competance.

• Options

Thank you John.

The barrel in question is a spare I picked up. Whatever its home was is long gone. The barrel has just the slightest side to side movement when horizontal pressure is applied at the muzzle.

Regarding the stud and sizes, would this side to side indicate too small, too large - too long or too short? And are different size studs available?

• Options

Its not the stud that has three sizes but the takedown plunger - the pushbutton. I don't know where you might find the pushbutton you need.

The design has the taper of the spring loaded plunger pull hte stud and barrel down tight into a radius on the frame that acts like a "V" block holding a shaft. In your case the plunger has run out of travel before pulling the barrel tight.

Some people address this issue by removing the stud, and machining a little off of the shoulder of the stud where it seats on then barrel, and reinstalling with locktite since the pin retaining the stud will nolonger with the old hole in the stud.

John Giles when he was making his custom barrels for these guns machined a small threaded hole below and parallel to the bore that allowed him to use a copper tipped screw to lock the stud in any position of rotation.

• Options

Thank you. Viewing through the frame I see how the parts interact.

• Options
    edited May 2022