In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Getting old??!

asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in General Discussion

I picked up 3 -12' 6" X 6" fir timbers and took them down to my basement shop for fabing. Them things really got heavy over the last 4 years! My wife said I'm just getting old, I told her BS, I just used muscles I haven't used for awhileπŸ™ƒ

Comments

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭

I just used muscles I haven't used for awhileπŸ™ƒ

12 foot 6 by's those are heavy when you're younger the older we get the heavier they get

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭

It is usually the next day when I figure out I should not have lifted something !! πŸ˜•

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭

thats what the wife is for.............

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭

I retired a few years ago but still work a day or two a week.What I noticed was how small the numbers have gotten on the combination lock on my locker at work.

• Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭

Good thing the basement is DOWN stairs!

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭✭

Hope you didn't pick up all 3 at the same time...😯.....😁

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

EVERYTHING is heavier, more difficult, and more tiring than it was 10-20 years back. I'm a farmer and the jobs are the same year after year, decade after decade. Unfortunately, physical capability doesn't stay the same. I've abused my body for 1/2 century and it's catching up now. All I can do is what I'm able to handle and hope Son and GrandSon are willing to make up the difference.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭

I've been hobbling around the last 4 days with a bum knee. I have torn ligaments in it that flare up every once in a while to remind me my warranty is getting closer to expiring. Today is the first day without my cane and it doesn't feel too bad.

Joe

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭

For the first time in 3 years I am walking, at least 90% of the time, without a cane . Of course it has taken 3 total knee replacements , several steroid injections ,back and foot . A custom built foot brace to correct a pronation problem in.my gait . Oh least I forget, the iv infusion of Remicade every 10 weeks for 3 hours and three different prescription pills everyday . And the steroid foot cream . Getting old ain't cheap or easy

cry Havoc and let slip Β the dogs of war.....Β 
  • Options
    AlaskanfrogAlaskanfrog Member Posts: 40 ✭✭

Man, I'm 34 and I'm starting to feel "old" even though firefighting has gotten me into the best shape of my life.

One of my knees is starting to ache when I run... And it's like, I'm really not 20 any more...

There is no greater love than this: He who gives his life for his brother. John 15:13

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

yep getting old well is better then dead but still sucks

I know no one cares 😁 but I tell my kids of my younger days and lifting and carrying items I could not even roll on the ground now . as a young fellow I was almost all muscle now almost all fat days of heavy lifting and carrying are long gone πŸ˜₯

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

It only gets worse with age .

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

I had the same problem with my knee(s) and running. I bought compression sleeves for knees and wearing those while running has solved the problem for me

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭

I've never done manual labor or been an exercise nut, but pulling Gs in jets is ruinous on your body. I'm 75 now; I am not strong and do not bend well. But I still walk the golf course twice a week, and all my doctors say I'm in remarkably good health. I credit it to genes.

My brain likes to think I'm still in my 20s. And then my body vetoes that.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭

Your not old until it takes you an hour to get dressed, and then another hour to remember what you got dressed for.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭

A buddy of mine said once "you know your old when you sit on the toilet and your b__s are in the water".

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

"I credit it to genes."

What brand do you wear? I need to get about a dozen pair of'em.

I'm older than dirt but even after being cooped up here in the house for a couple of years taking care of June I'm still in fair shape. Also I used to work out a lot to keep June from being grossed out by going to bed with an old coot.

Arms are still pretty good for an old geezer even if I do say so for myself.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭

Rocky ,I grew up farming. Had jobs in construction ,water well drilling and mechanics thru the years . Main public job was as a mental health technician in an insane asylum for 32 years . Fighting with crazy people keeps you limber. Add in 40 years of firefighting and the old bones know it in a hurry ..Guess that was part of the reason I needed both knees replaced ,just plain worn out .

cry Havoc and let slip Β the dogs of war.....Β 
  • Options

I hear ya all. We all make life choices - but we make them when we haven't a clue what the eventual outcome will be.

• Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭

I hear you went to doctors today about my shoulder. He said nothing wrong have alot of strength. Told him BS. I used to pick up junk washing machines with one hand inside lip. Now I have Trouble lifting a gallon of milk .

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Getting old is not for sissies!

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

After my C-2 through C-6 neck laminectomy and fusion with appliances (read as metal chunks added) I still had a day and a half's worth of work to do, but was only a half a-day man. I am still looking for the other half of the day but nap time seems to interfere with that game plan.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

Today I completed another orbit around old Sol. I may not actually be getting wiser with age but my perspective sure has changed. I can now identify with and appreciate this;

Bob

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,345 ******

Happy Birthday Bob!

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

Bob you certainly don't look your age that's for sure. You've taken good care of yourself over the years and I swear you don't look a day over 85. Happy Birthday. πŸ˜‰

• Options

OUCH!

Quoting Mickey Mantle;

"If I had known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!"

Bob

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭✭

Well I got a pretty good chunck of change thats says you didnt carry three of them down the steps at the same time!

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******

This one is just for you Bob on your birthday! I hope you had a good one!

😁

• Options

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I prefer to think of it as, I have my poop in a group.

Bob

• Options

Stool in a pool?

Happy B'day (pronounced bidet)

• Options

I have to agree with most of you in my mind I think I am around 30 or so my body keeps protesting and reminding my mind your crazy we cant do that any more here is a shot of pain to remind you LOL

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday my wife decides it's time to till the garden. My tiller is about 5' wide and fits on the back of my tractor and is powered by the rear PTO. It's been 2-3 years since she wanted it tilled. I used to till it every year and it was a simple job that took about an hour to install, till, and uninstall the 500+ lb tiller.

Yesterday after forgetting all the shortcuts I used to use, It took over an hour and a half just to get the tiller mounted. So I finally get out to the garden, and I'm ready to start, and then she tells me that she only wants 2 strips 6' long tilled. If I didn't love her so much I would have ???????? her.

Last night and today every muscle in my old body aches,

Joe

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭

You guys are making men feel younger with every post I read! Please continue😊

• Options

Getting old may not be for sissy's but I thank God for each and every new day I wake up to.

Way Too many of my good friends and relatives never got the chance to grow old.

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

"We're not as good as we once was, but we're as good once as we ever was." T.K.

Less true with each passing year, but a comforting though none-the-less.

• Options

Hearing loss can add a lot ones perspectives.

😁

• Options

I have come to terms with waking up and going to bed hurting just proves I am still around and some what kicking , just my legs dont go as high 😁