In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Folding knife experts and others

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I have a handy sized folding REMINGTON pocket knife. It has two blades one a pointy and the other a rounded nose. The problem has been trying to open the blades. It is impossible to open one with out tearing off your fingernails. I just used pliers to open it and figure one or more of you will know how to solve this issue. I would love to carry it more often but the opening is an issue.

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

If it is a really stiff spring I would learn to live with it and it may eventually loosen up a bit. If the blades are too tight from improper pinning when the knife was made you can try spreading the joint by gently by pushing a thin blade, like a utility knife, between the knife blade and liner. That will open the joint a little bit and may make it easier to open. A friend used to apply a little valve grinding compound and then work the blade open and shut to smooth it out. I haven't tried that but he swore by it. Bob

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

Better than loose floppy blades

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Put it in a good safe place. Get yourself a good lock back knife.

Spyderco maybe. Your fingers will love you for it.

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭

Try some Aero-kroil.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Does it seem gritty? I think the solution is to just also carry pliers.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

soak it in warm penetrating oil for a few days

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

That is why I always carry a couple of pennies in my pocket. Usually works every time.

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭

As stated, valve lapping compound (small tube) will do the trick. You can sit and watch Gunsmoke while working the blade back & forth, spray clean then oil, your good to go.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭

As said before.........buy a quality knife..........I also like Spyderco........Benchmade........Cold Steel..........Al Mar

I have an Al Mar that is the absolutely smoothest opening knife I have ever owned...........like "buttah" and a rock solid lock when opened

• BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******

I would spray it with a little Ballistol, and work it in.

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭

Forgot to mention that is a good job for a dremel tool with a metal cutting blade, cut the small opening groove a little deeper and fine tune for your size fingernail.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

Stiff, hard to open knives are a NO GO for me. I won't tolerate such things.

My primary use knife is a lock closed/lock open replaceable blade utility knife that retails for under $5. After just a short breakin period, these knives 'flip' open and closed with one hand. I constantly have one in 'break in' duty clipped on my 'inside the house pants' pocket in case I lose/break the one in daily use..

• grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭

I solved that problem by buying a Kershaw Launch auto. Just push the button!

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

all sound like good advice . ( I keep my fingernails chewed off😣 so its always been a issue for me bad habit from as far back as I can remember ) any way I have never owned one but have seen listings for knife openers on the auctions . I always just assumed they were made for such cases . they look like just a flat piece of metal some had brand names on them

this is just one I pulled up on the internet but seem to have been common at some point

in the past I have used a car key or similar item to open up a stubborn knife . no fingernails so improvise was my go to tool

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭

I'd take it to a jeweler and have dude throw it in the ultrasonic cleaner oil it. If still stiff. Store it. if it's an actual Remington and not the re-Remingtons.

As for a new recommendation. Spyderco Yojumbo. After a few weeks of flicking it to loosen up the action and trimming the heel of the blade with the compression lock I can't believe I waited so long for the upgrade. Love the compression lock with my fat fingers almost tripping the liner lock, no more fear.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

My normal everyday pocket knife is an older 3 blade Hen and Rooster but when I need something a little bigger I carry one of these. Actually I have 2, one with the pocket clip and one with the clip removed for a more concealed carry. Super easy thumb opening and a one handed closing feature because of the axis lock. So if your Remington is a collector piece, I would put it away and get something a bit easier to use. Bob

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

A+

You need a good knife. (and make sure it's a good lock back type)

I've always carried a good knife and I've also noticed that:

Life is too short to hunt with a ugly gun and a worthless knife.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭

bruce I don't know why these folks want you to buy a new knife, just go get a pack of those glue on fingernails and a big tube of super glue, you only have to used one on whatever finger you use to open the knife, you can decorate it with gun logos if you want. don't listen to these guys and waste you money on expensive knives..........

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I think I will try the lapping compound and oil. If it works great, if not I'll just put it in the knife drawer and ignore it.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Don't underestimate my solution to just carry pliers with you, they're handy as a pocket on a shirt.

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain