In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Looking for info on M1

keep1nokeep1no Member Posts: 6
edited May 2022 in Ask the Experts

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me some info about this M1. I have looked up the stamped number and it appears to be from the range of serial numbers produced in 1939. However, I am curious if this is true, if it has been rebuilt (if you can tell), if it is the original gas trap design, etc...

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Me thinks you are confusing this rifle, M1 Carbine which were not being produced in 1939 and were not a "gas trap" design, with a M1 Garand which some early examples were a gas trap design.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

The makers name should be stamped under the rear sight at the back above the serial number.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

Or at barrel just back of front site will be a flaming bomb a maker and a date ie x-xx

• keep1nokeep1no Member Posts: 6

It is a gun I am considering buying at auction. I don't have access to it to inspect those things at the moment.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

The simple fact that you have mistaken an M1 carbine for an M1 rifle makes me advise against your bidding on this firearm.

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

just going by the bayonet mount and the rear sight, it has been rebuilt after ww2

edited May 2022

Also, I don't think I did confuse them. I knew it was an M1 Garand, its why I want the rifle. I only said M1 without further clarification. I also mentioned that I was curious whether it was the original "gas trap" design, which as the first commenter, despite that person assuming I meant carbine when I only said "M1," astutely pointed out, the "gas trap" was a design used in the M1 Garand. If simply calling it an M1 instead of saying M1 Garand does in fact mean that I must be referring to an M1 Carbine then I apologize for trodding upon your linguistic sensitivities. However, upon reading my question and evaluating all of the words in the question, you'll notice that I included a date ('39) for the suspected production of the M1, for which I posted pictures, at a time when, apparently, the M1 carbine was not in production. So again, why are we assuming that I was mistaken about the weapon I am evaluating?

Now lets get to the real question which is why do people that participate on forums act like dickbags. Firstly, I didn't ask "who advises me to purchase this rifle," so why do you think I would care about what you advise. I would think this, of all forums, would be a place where I could get answers to a very specific question which was, can anyone tell anything about this gun, as opposed to someone's opinion as to whether or not I "qualified" to purchase it. If you don't have anything informative then why waste your time posting anything other than to show everyone how much of a * you can be.

Further, your conclusion that a person should not bid on an item because they don't know everything about it tells me that you are a very shortsighted individual and, likely, not a very shrewd businessman. For instance, in what world would it be a bad move to purchase this gun if I could get it for $1? $100? Whether it was functional or not. The whole point in asking the question was to figure out exactly how much risk I want to take with an unknown gun.

I * hate people.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited May 2022

If you don't have anything informative then why waste your time posting anything other than to show everyone how much of a * you can be.

You are going to see more than you bargained for.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin

Yeah, the last picture even shows "carbine" stamped om the receiver......

This discussion has been closed.