In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pietta Brass Frame Colt Replica .44 cal is 1851 Navy? or 1860 Army?

PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

I am selling for a friend a Pietta Italian copy of an old Colt percussion revolver. It is .44 caliber. I described as a Colt 1860 sort-of-replica, but was told by one gentleman it was an 1851. It might not really be either of course, just a sort-of replica. Or is it a 1851 copy? I think I know they weren't originally brass frames.

Comments

• Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Listing number is # 932898132

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

It is a 1851 Navy Model but chambered in .44 caliber rather than .36 caliber. The Italian manufacturers started to do that maybe fifteen years ago. The original Colt 1851 Navy was only chambered in .36 caliber and a steel frame (maybe iron, I'm not a Colt expert).

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭

www.gunbroker.com/item/932373074

Beat me.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭

The bottom line is that it is neither. Colt did not use brass for frames on either, although some period copies did, especially those made for or in the CSA. Overall it sorta resembles a Colt 1851, but the rebated cylinder is as on the 1860. The grip shape is very different from either model.