In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Kentucky Derby Winning Jockey

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Kentucky Derby: Rich Strike jockey Sonny Leon serving suspension for careless riding in Ohio, his 5th ban since fall

Jason Owens

Wed, May 11, 2022, 7:01 PM

Days after his career triumph, Kentucky Derby-winning jockey Sonny Leon is serving a suspension for careless riding.

Leon rode 80-1 longshot Rich Strike to victory at Churchill Downs on Saturday after the horse was entered as a late replacement for a horse that was scratched. This week, Leon's serving a four-day suspension for careless riding during an April 27 race at Ohio's Thistledown Racecourse, the Associated Press reports.

The suspension is Leon's fifth since last fall. The Louisville Courier Journal reports that three of those suspensions were for careless riding. He served a separate suspension for “presenting false and altered documents from a physical examination to West Virginia stewards and another for inflicting visible injuries on one of his mounts through misuse of the whip," the Courier Journal reports.

In total, he has been suspended 32 days since Sept. 15. His agent Jeff Perrin told AP that Leon will be eligible to ride in the Preakness if Rich Strike is entered.

Jockey Sonny Leon tosses roses into the air in the winner's circle after winning the 148th running of the Kentucky Derby horse race at Churchill Downs Saturday, May 7, 2022, in Louisville, Ky. (AP Photo/Brynn Anderson)

Will Rich Strike run in the Preakness?

Rich Strike's owner Rick Dawson and trainer Eric Reed haven't yet decided if the horse will run in the second leg of the Triple Crown, scheduled for May 21. Reed said this week that they'd initially planned on a five-week break for Rich Strike after the Derby before competing in the Belmont Stakes on June 11. A shot at the Triple Crown obviously changes that equation.

“It’s not that we can’t compete,” Reed said. “It’s, does that shoot [a chance at winning] Belmont completely?” The risk of injury, the risk of overtraining, the risk of a bad finish ... it all plays into the question of whether to chase history."

Perrin assured AP that Leon will be ready to ride at the Preakness if called upon.

“Our job is to go where we need to be, but we don’t make those decisions,” Perrin said.

For now, Leon is sidelined after Ohio stewards determined that he “deliberately and aggressively” steered his horse One Glamorous Gal to the rail in an effort to block other horses down the stretch of the April 27 race. One Glamorous Gal was disqualified from her third-place finish and ended up placing sixth because of the violation. Per AP, Leon's suspension started Monday and ends on Thursday.

Comments

• danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭

all I know is he did a great job getting that horse through the traffic in the Kentucky Derby from the back to the front

he was mule reining without slowing him down

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

That last pass coming down the stretch to the line was a sight to behold. They'll be showing reruns of that for years to come. Most horses would have probably broken stride with a jockey making that move but it was like he just hit another gear and went by like a race car.

That horse was full of himself that day and wanted to fight after the race was over. It was like he was thinking I can not only outrun all you glue factory rejects I can kick your * too. From 17th place after the last turn headed home to 1st place is the most amazing horse race I can ever remember seeing.

June and I were horse race fans. We went to a lot of them back in the old days. She always did a lot better at the horse tracks and I always did better bettin' on the dogs. I guess that's because she was more of a thoroughbred and could recognize a winner and I was just an old hound.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

It would be tempting to run him in that race but I think they made the right decision. They know what he can do and a shorter race is not his thing. They need to extend the time between these two races anyway. 2 weeks is not enough time.