In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Quail !!!!

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

There are two that run around our yard and the edge of the hayfield. Hopefully there will be some little ones following them around soon....

Comments

• Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful! Bobwhite Quail. We don’t have those here. We get the California Quail.

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

...Love those Quail!...Quail hunting is my favorite bird hunting...watching the dogs hunt, working, then go to point, the anticipation of the suckers taking off, then dropping 1 or 2, as fun as it gets to me...Bobwhite, Blue Quail...on the grill or in the oven....some of the best eating in the world!...Many a dinner in deer camp includes the Quail we shoot that day....MMMMmmmm!...

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

I am pretty sure it was the male in the pair...

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭

55 years ago everyone in the country had yard chickens . Varmints ,hawks and owls and such were dispatched on sight . Coyotes had not yet invaded the south. The farm I grew up on had quail in abundance. There were 4 distinct coveys.. Sadly , I seldom see or hear one anymore . The farm fields and woods have not changed but varmints have taken their toll .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

"55 years ago everyone in the country had yard chickens . Varmints ,hawks and owls and such were dispatched on sight . Coyotes had not yet invaded the south. The farm I grew up on had quail in abundance. There were 4 distinct coveys.. Sadly , I seldom see or hear one anymore . The farm fields and woods have not changed but varmints have taken their toll"

^^^Regardless of what anyone says, I firmly believe this statement to be 100% TRUE.

North MO had quail and pheasants in good numbers until CRP took away the grain fields that provided winter food supplies for these birds. Then CRP encouraged the sudden increase in predatory bird populations to prey on the game birds. By the mid-90's, it was difficult to find a huntable population of game birds but there was a hawk on nearly every power pole. Then the fur prices dropped and folks stopped hunting & trapping *(and killing the numerous possums and skunks that get caught by those * traps).

I saw a quail last week-the first I'd seen in months. Haven't seen a pheasant within 15 miles for a year or more.

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Quail are very rare bird in this neck of the woods now days.

At one time was one of my favorite birds to hunt.

The eastern turkeys are having a hard time. Very few young turks and Quyail are making it from the egg long enough to even fly up into a tree due to predators.

Also noticed that squirrel populations are declining rapidly last few years in the big woods in this area. Lot of Hickory and acorn trees do not make any nuts for squirrels . See more squirrels inside towns and parks than in the wild blue yonder.

If your turkey and squirrel populations are way down, most likely you have a significant bobcat population. That's the way it's gone here in north MO. After a couple of successful seasons of bobcat trapping, my turkey numbers are increasing again.

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭

I second the bobcat thing . The second biggest problem is feral and pet cats . They kill untold millions of squirrel, turkey quail rabbit etc .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭

We have lived here out in the boonies of SW Arkansas for 26 years. It has been over 20 years since I heard a bobwhite call. Have plenty of hawks, coyotes, and bobcats, though.

Feral(or even errant house) cats don't last long around here due to the high numbers of coyotes. Coyotes love 'kitty burger' BTW.

• discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

haven't seen bobwhites since i left illinois, i do have a crapload of California's visit me and my birdseed daily. they are nesting now, expecting to see the fuzzy golf balls anytime in the next 2 weeks

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Your cat will take care of any young ones. Between Cats, fire ants, foxes and raccoon's the quail population in the south has been decimated. I haven't seen a wild quail in years.

RLTW

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
  • waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Two quail, cut off wings, truss legs back over breast, slice of orange in cavity, season with salt, garlic, coat out side with margarine, bake at 450 to 500 degrees for 15 minutes. While cooking mix one cup Pinot- noir wine, half cup balsamic vinegar, one and half table spoons sugar in bowl. Remove quail from over and coat with sauce, put back in oven for five minutes, remove and let rest ten minutes. ENJOY.

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

The quail around here crack me up how they run around in a line following each other. They're good fliers but seem to prefer being on the ground for some reason. My dog likes to chase them and they will run as much and as far as they can before taking flight.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

I enjoy seeing quite a few partridges around my property all the time here in northern lower Michigan. While out deer hunting every year, I see them walking about foraging for food and they come very close to where I am sitting.

About 3 years ago, I heard the unmistakable call of a Bob White coming from a nearby grove of trees near the house. It was the first I've heard in over 50 years!

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't seen them at my work after they re-did the land scape. I miss seeing their pompadour. I did see a lone turkey strutting at the Lucky supermarket in town a month ago. He must've came from Fort Ord a mile East or the defunct cattle ranch half mile North.