In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I Bombed The Barn

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******

I bombed my barn today. With insecticide bombs. I was in there moving some stuff around, and a wasp attacked me and stung me on the back of my neck.

That was an unforgivable act, and I moved to eradicate the trespassers. Six bug bombs later, and I was able to rearrange the barn in safety.

I'm really glad I'm not allergic! 

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******

Lucky you got hit only once. Yes, glad you're not allergic too, a lot of folks don't realize how serious a sting can be.

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

As one who is allergic, I salute you in the destruction of any wasp nests !!!

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭

We have wasps in the house every spring. They must have made a nest somewhere in the framework when our house was built. They aren't aggressive and easy to kill with my bug zapper. Every year there seems to be fewer of them, but they still repopulate every year.

Joe

• notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

I bug bombed our sun porch. 2 years ago. I used the off brand bombs from dollar General. Mostly for stink bugs.2 years later, they're still dying. It makes me wonder what they put in their bug bombs.

• varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

i like those bug bombs. i do my house every couple of years or so. just set them off an leave for a day or so. i see a roach every now and again but it is always TU on the floor.

• DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭

I'm thinkin' movie here: "Nunn But The Brave". Eight figures. John Cena lead. Cover of "People". Fallon, Kimmel. Chicks.

Call my service. We'll do lunch.

• grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭

I am allergic, so I bomb my deer stands every year in September. Usually means no bugs or spiders during the season.

Also, I spray my house, shed, and well house twice a year with an insecticide called Bifen/IT. Haven't had a wasp or mud dauber nest on any of them in three years. Planning to use it on my deer stands this year. Just mix it 1oz/gallon and spray. It works so well that I bought 6 four-ounce bottles of it, figuring that if it actually works, the government will probably outlaw it! 😉

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

I was putting up a motion light on the last year and stirred up a nest of Japanese hornets,the ones that look like a yellow jacket the size of your thumb.One got me just above the ear before I could get in the house.For a couple of days it felt like a pair of Vice Grips snapped on the side of my head.

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

When I was a kid.......we called those things Cicada Killers. 😀

Looooooong ago............the best of times!👍

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited May 2022

Cicada killers are solitary creatures, and rarely sting. Buddy must have met something different.

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭

We have a few of the REALLY big hornets around here. They like hanging around an old ragged oak tree on the edge of the yard- 45 yards from my back deck.

Savage .17 HMR.

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Also, I spray my house, shed, and well house twice a year with an insecticide called Bifen/IT. Haven't had a wasp or mud dauber nest on any of them in three years. 

That is good stuff.

It gets Recluse spiders, scorpions, roaches, wasps, seems to keep termites away.

Keep kittys away until it dries. (just read the instructions)

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Be as relentless in your attack of wasps as they are.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited May 2022

For some strange reason nunn, your post topic......"I Bombed The Barn", put a song in my head as I was reading it.

"I Fought The Law and The Law Won" 😲

I sure hope you have much better luck with your bee problem than that dumb songs lyrics proclaim!! 😁

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

I use Bifen insecticide on fire ants. 1 OZ. Bifen per gallon of water in a pump up sprayer and soak the mounds until it is saturated.No more fire ants.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Clear caulked some wood boring bees in their tombs.

• notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

I watched a YouTube about getting rid of ants inside. It was5 parts sugar and 1 part borax. Enough water to make a syrup. I tried it and it worked. So far. They were crawling all around the kitchen counter on the outside wall side. Not anymore. They dove into that stuff for hours then left. In the morning they were gone. So far. That's borax the laundry powder.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

"I shot the sheriff" came to mind at first thought.