In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7MM Mauser Refinish Tips

EW0302EW0302 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭

I recently purchased this rifle at an estate sale. It needs some attention and I am hoping to find out how far one should go. All the numbers match. There is rust. How aggressively should I go at removing it? The stock has a crack. Do I glue and clamp it? The rest of the stock is a little beat up but fine for me. Evidently it spent some time hanging from a saddle. Should I just wipe it down and let it be? The barrel looks great so I do plan on shooting it.

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Not in too bad of shape. Seen 'em a lot worse than that. Use regular wood glue to glue the wood. Use fine steel wool to clean the metal. A copper scouring pad also works. If you are dealing with old, rusty firearms (like I do), get a Frontier Big .45 Metal Cleaner online - $6. It works as advertised. You are lucky it has a good bore.

• chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭

A Chilean police carbine like that with the Mauser banner I have seen go for upwards $500. I would hesitate doing anything aggressive aside from judicious use of copper wool and oil.

Your rifle shows use and character, and aside from the cracked handguard (replaceable) looks pretty good. Just my .02

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

Just my opinion: Try to find a better handguard(but don't discard the broken one), wipe down the external metal parts, and shoot it. Anything else you do will destroy the 'original' value. Trying to make this old Mauser a modern sporting rifle will cost more than buying a new 'price point' rifle.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

As above, fix the wood and lightly clean the rest. Mauser Banners are very collectible.

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

I check the headspace before I test fire rifles and I being a reloader usually prepare about 3 dud shells to check the feeding/extraction.

Shame them kind of guns cannot be interviewed to see what it's seen.

It has character like it is.

I'm not familiar with that type of stock. One thing I would check is the fitting of the stock to the rifles receiver to see if recoil when being fired could might have caused the crack, spongy soft or worn wood at recoil lug area.