In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marijuana Gun Owners Under Threat now?

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Politics

I suspect that millions are Marijuana users and subject to confiscation of all their firearms soon.Legalizing recreational Marijuana use in States is a catch -22 for them soon. Watch out for Red laws to be enforced strongly soon.

serf

Comments

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭

Purgery on 4473. I wonder if California would prosecute?

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Only if Biden or a Democrat gets elected in 2024 by then the stage will be set after all in what's coming on New firearm legislation soon,until then they will let it slide. I doubt The Fed's will legalize (Pot) until after the gun grab. Then there's no way to purchase any new firearms under the law anyway.

Just look at Canada now for references on how they play the game. Turn then in when you die with no transfers allowed.

serf

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

Unless congress passes marijuana reform laws and marijuana remains as a schedule 1 drug, LE has the rights to confiscate and charge users according to state & federal laws.

Although many states have passed laws legalizing its use, congress has failed to act despite numerous promises to reform these laws.

You get a blood test and you are positive after any legal police action,you are losing them ASAP.

serf

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like good old geriatric Joe wouldn't be pushing for adhering to that clause on the 4473. It would put a spotlight on Hunters illegal handgun purchase. If I were a user of federally illegal substances and was called out on it, that would be the crux of my defense. They have set a precedent by not pursuing any charges against him so how can they charge anyone else? Bob

• wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭

It should have never been legalized at any level of government. It is a gateway drug, always has been and always will be.

• DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭

That's such a crock of ****.. Let me guess reefer madness wasn't a piece of government propaganda?.. There have been ample studies that have completely disproven the claim that marijuana is a gateway drug, that claim came about as a scare tactic during the heyday of the supposed "war on drugs." While I don't personally use marijuana, there have been ample studies to show the medical benefits of it.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

Illinois pulls your name to the Feds ALTHOUGH they said that WOULD NEVER HAPPEN because of privacy laws and now WALLLAAAA your 4473 gets DENIED. Yea serf, that is so true in Illinois. The land of lies and corruption. I know of two such individuals it happened to.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

I can just see tests at the local FFL to determine and deny.

it's easy to figure out Bob,power has it privileges some are seen most are unseen.The justice system can pick and choose what laws they wish to enforce and what ones to ignore. It's this corruption that has unleash the Chaos that is coming.

Strict transfer of gun laws with any violations with their red laws parameters is going to strip you of your guns rights period.The Democrats will wait to after the gun grab to legalize Federal marijuana use ,just watch.

serf

• Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

...I dont care for pot, but have friends that have smoked forever, doesnt appear to have hampered them in their professional or private life, I plead apathy...but I wont be around anyone F*****UP and shooting a hand gun or rifle, just as I wont be around someone drinking and shooting...OR, someone that is a clinically certified moron...

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

I'm still trying to figure out what a Marijuana gun is.... of course took me awhile for BBQ guns also.... yes I miss the green font.

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

The main distinction is that some of the internals are cast from pot metal.

don

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

Can you read? OWNERS are the culprit not Pot.Just don't own a Gun if you are a pot head. Of course if you high right now I understand your dilemma with your thinking processes,

serf

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

No need to get nasty @serf, people like to make jokes.

Brad Steele
  • waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭

Can’t remember, on the form 4473, does it ask. Are you addict to marijuana, do you us marijuana, are you using marijuana, have you used marijuana? Anyone know the exact wording off hand.

I think current user and under the influence of the drug is the key. That would be medical as well as recreational.So let's say on your days off from work you use it or you are retired and a flareup of arthritis once a week or so you do the same. (use it) then no firearm purchase is legal.

It stays in your system for 90 days and if you had a drug test in the past with employers and you are positive, well you got fired under that policy.

serf

This has been debated for about the last decade and the only way it will be resolved is if the feds legalize grass and take it off the restricted list. I have not heard of any enforcements since med marijuana became legal, at least here in Michigan.

As far as employment, the employers have the right to set their own standards as far as drug use. A few years ago I saw a case where an employee was fighting his dismissal and lost when the employer cited OSHA regs that prohibited any impaired people from performing what could be a dangerous job. Bob

edited June 2022

Twenty years before I retired from the railroad they started random testing for drugs and alcohol. Legal limit for alcohol was .00, marijuana was, they screened for 30 nano grams and 15 was confirmation. It was a hassle but a good money maker. You had three hours to go in a bottle, starting from when the inspector made out your paper work. Usually test was after you arrived or if on a switch engine after shift. I can assure you that when you put John W.M. on time and a half I can hold it quiet a while, and sometimes would go and tell the inspector I still can’t go yet.

As far as marijuana staying in your system ninety days that is kind of a myth. If you smoked everyday, yes it can remain up to sixty days. The same as if someone smoked cigarettes for years nicotine could be detected in your system for months. Now if you were to do a couple hits starting on your days off, say on a Friday, come Monday it would be out of your system, that would be the same if you didn’t smoke cigarettes, if you smoked one cigarette the next day it could be detected but two days later, no.

Trouble with random tests is, a lot of things can trigger false positive results. If that happens they are suppose to recheck only this time looking for the exact molecule in the drug that showed up on the test.

edited June 2022

The F.A.A. uses hair sample analysis and The CIA uses finger nails samples, It's the fat cells that hang you on a piss test. They can go back a long time on fingernails samples.

serf

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

4473, line e, Are you an unlaw full user of or addicted to marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance.

Thank you Butchdog2. I’m not trying to be the devils advocate. The first question is are you an unlawful user, if the state you live in allows it, then by law you are not an unlawful user. Where it goes on and says are you addicted to marijuana, one could claim no, the proof would on the accuser to prove addiction. This would probably depend on if you made the statement in a state that allowed marijuana, or one that didn’t. But then again I’m no lawyer. Food for thought though.

Someone school me, too lazy to look it up.

Is mary jane illegal according to federal law and if so does federal law trump state laws?

The 4473 is not a state form/record but federal.

Not questioning medical use.

I let my fingers do a little googling for you.;

It boils down to no firearms transfer if someone is a marijuana user, medical or recreational. However, I still can't find any credible reports of this being enforced. Bob

That is my opinion also. See how easy it was for me to find the answer, thanks🙂

I would also wager there have been many no's checked when it should have been yes's.

That is very interesting, but still kind of leaves open a question. I read all through, but they keep referring to selling, transferring explosives, never mentioning or using the word firearms.

Form 4473 specifically states the the Devil’s Lettuce is classified as a controlled substance, and users, medical included are to check ‘yes’.

The assumption being it would disable one to purchase a firearm.

Brad Steele
    edited June 2022

BATF applications for firearms and explosives are almost identical.

Don your assumption is correct.

The part where it says that Marijuana is listed as a controlled schedule 1 drug and they don't recognize even medical excuses for using it. Doesn't matter whether you are buying guns or explosives, marijuana is a federally prohibited substance and admitting its use disqualifies you from a firearm purchase. Probably a 100 times more alcohol/firearm problems than marijuana/firearm problems, but it is what it is. Bob

edited June 2022

Bobjudy, I understand the premise of their wording, I should have caught that.

I live in the great state of Illinois, and we have had to have a Firearm Owners Identification (F. O. I. D.) card since 1968. You must have the card on your possession even on your own property while hunting, or to purchase ammunition. So over the years I have learned to ask many questions when it comes to the wording about firearms.

In fact here is one question I have never been able to fully get answered. I have a concealed carry license, and when I was taking the course I asked this question. While the gun is on my PERSON I know I’m legal. But then I get in my car and I decide to take it off my belt or out of my pocket so it is more comfortable to drive, and put it in the clove box or console, and the gun is still loaded and not in a case, is that legal? According to the law of Illinois in order to transport a firearm it has to be, unloaded, cased and out of the reach of the driver. Point being, is it still under rules of CC or my F.O.I.D. No one seems to have the answer. It is becoming where one almost has to be a lawyer anymore in order to enjoy the sport of shooting or protecting your self.

I sympathize with you having to put up with the Illinois gun laws. Michigan has some rather strange rules as well. For instance, open carry is legal without a CFL but to transport a weapon it must be unloaded, cased and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle. In other words you can carry it loaded on your person in public but not in a vehicle.

Back when I was selling guns if a customer had a CFL a background check was not required. After I asked how do we know the customer didn't get in trouble with the law after getting his CFL, we started doing background checks on everyone. Just because he had the CFL card didn't mean it was valid. Our law makers never think things all the way through. Bob