In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Had to Draw Down on Dog after being Ambushed

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Had loose dog double back from behind on me while walking and it became very aggressive.I had to drawn out my weapon and holler at the animal before he broke off. My question is do you have to wait to be bit or can you discharge a weapon before waiting for his teeth to bite?

Thanks

serf

Comments

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭

Ummm.....depends on the situation. BUT if i am afraid that the dog can and WILL do damage to me or my people, then it will be a dead dog! If its an ankle bitter, then a boot will work. If there is real potential of damage, then id shoot first!

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

Tricky situation... I don't know the answer, I suggest asking your local PD folks, of course there are miss-guided folks that will say something stupid like was it a Pitbull? Sorry for that last comment it just burns me some folks think all dogs of a particular breed are bad...

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭

My land DRT (depending on how close the Nosey Rosies lives by me) and yell out "it's coming right for us" then pass the shovel. Break out the beer afterwards.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

I truly like dogs and would have tried to discourage even just firing the gun to scare it away but like stated a small ankle biter would be different than a large or more than one dog if it came down to no way to discourage I would feel bad but would also walk away with out any bite marks on me

Also every cirstance is different so no one answer it may be shoot first ask questions later

Had a great dane attack my 9y/o nephew. I wasnt there, but it bit him on the neck and left puncture wounds. He was at the neighbors with abou 10 other kids. He dropped his toy, so i went to retreive it and speak to the owner. That Dane was VERY aggressive and the only reason i didnt shoot was because of the kids around. I slowly backed away with him gnawing at me the entire time. I was arfaid, but figured i would have to fight it because of all the kids, couldnt risk the trama it would have caused the kids if i blew his(dogs) lungs out with my 9mm.

Finally got the owner outside, he said this has never happened before. 2 weeks later they found out the dog had cancer and had to put it down.

Long story short, ANY large dog can be dangerous, even Danes apparently.

Nephew ened up fine, bruised and bloody but ok. He still has a fear of Danes 3 years later. Cant say i blame him.

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

If the dane had cancer, it may have been in pain, wounded dogs can be aggressive, no excuse especially if you can't see the cause of the pain. As a dog owner it is our responsibility to protect both the dogs and any visitors.

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

The one that attack me was a Black Shepard.I did not want to shoot the animal plus I was next to a Elementary school and I know the cops would get called and I would be taking a ride downtown,But If he bit me then I would have shot him. I saved myself A big headache from hiring lawyers etc along with a bail Bondsman.

That's why I asked here what's the defense here legally would be.I live in minority city full of Democrats.A jury trial would have been a disaster for me to find justice. But the dog lived and I got to use my weapon in a adrenal crisis and learned that safety needs to come off instantly,next time.

serf

Im am SURE the cancer was the source of his aggression, just goes to show that you cant judge a dog by breed.

@serf......sounds like you made the correct call. Those decisions have to be made in a split second and it seems you chose correctly.

• bitlockerbitlocker Member Posts: 299 ✭✭

very small dogs bite more. Cats have worse bacteria. i use pepper spray. PitBulls were bred to bite bulls and hold on. The breed was banned in UK years ago. Sometimes takes a screwdriver to pry their jaws off.

The UK also banned guns and KNIVES on the street! LMAO. And they still have HIGH crime, even with THOUSANDS of cameras being watched 24/7 by police!

I have owned several pit/american bull dog mixes over the years. Only thing they ever bit were food, and armadillos! Dogs are like guns......great if used correctly and taken care of, but CAN be bad in the hands of an idiot/crazy person!

Several incidents of bringing the baby home and dog kills it. Dogs that have been trained to bite will bite a motorcyclist due to looking like the trainer gear. No dog should be allowed in a grocery store or restaurant.

?? As far as I know.....dogs are NOT allowed in most grocery stores or restaurants, excpet service dogs.

MOST dogs are not trained to bite! And ANY dog can be trained to bite. Like i said......idiots/crazies can use anything as a weapon.

At a yard sale , some guy walked up with his great Dane. the dog put his paws on my shoulders and his head was a foot higher than me. I said get him off and the guy said "this is my town and i can do whatever i want" 2 minutes later ,someone had called the sheriff and 2 deputies came walking at the dog with their arms folded on their chest. i drove off. the owner was holding the collar and i don't know what resulted. if a bite then big problem for owner.

There should be no exception for a service dog to enter a grocery store or restaurant.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭

mike55 - Seen so many useless "emotional support" dogs in the Walmart, supermarket in shopping carts or baby buggies. The shops don't say or do anything to them. At least they aren't free ranging them in the shops.

I mean REAL service dogs......seeing eye dogs and SOME for people with real PTSD, not the millennial that gets triggered without his/her support parrot!

There are real needs for service dogs, it is sad that idiots have messed that up for people who really need em!

There are even dogs that can sense when a person is about to have a seizure! These types of anaimals are PROFESSIONALLY trained and should be allowed everywhere people can go.

And again, not talking about the idiots who abuse the system.

• kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭

I usually don't care where someone brings their dog. Dogs, in general treat a stranger better than their owners would treat that same stranger. If the dog is behaved and laying at the feet of the owner at a restaurant and doesn't bother me or others what do I care? It wouldn't be any different than my own dog who lays on my feet at my own dining room table.

If the dog doesn't behave then the owner has a responsibility to correct that behavior and/or remove the dog from that place until the dog can behave acceptably.

If a business owner has a policy about no pets, I would respect that policy also.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

REAL service dogs do not bother me at all cause they don't bother me. Many are just woke people bringing their dogs in just because they are insane.

Serf, you did the right thing, a dog shooting even justified can cause real problems here in Illinois but I would if I had to and felt really threatened.

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

We had a incident down here and a man was mauled and killed by mix breed pit bulls.Seven dogs attacked him.I had two shepherds attack me again unfortunately one is dead now. The minority city I live in has a lot people letting out dogs to roam and not able to feed them anymore. But a white guy was the suspect below and is in jail. He says he is innocence.

serf

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/24/us/texas-man-mauled-dogs/index.html

Prior to his arrest, CNN affiliate KTRK spoke with Cartwright, who said the dogs do not belong to him and that he called animal control as soon as he spotted them on his property.

"There's 20 dogs around here right now. If you drive down this back street, there will be 20 loose dogs running around," he said. "People just dump them around here. The dogs go wherever they can find food."

• Tommy Red ShoesTommy Red Shoes Member Posts: 11

Short answer: depends how Commie your State Laws are. Here in FL, governed by Obi Ron DeSantis, you'd be GTG splattering the dog, might even get a medal for saving others. But in Duh Peoples' Republiks of NJ, NY, IL, CA, MD, HI, etc, you'd probably do hard time. Will I live long enough to see the anti-2A Commie politicians meet the same fate as Mussolini?... stay tuned.