In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Kimber 1911 Experts: Passive Safety Question

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******

I understand that all Kimber 1911 pistols with a Roman number II rollmarked on the slide have the Series 80 style passive safety.

Where are the pistols that pre-date the "II?" Are they all the hands of collectors, or what?

I like Kimber's quality, but I don't like an added-on-after-the-fact firing pin safety, that is not needed, that requires extra machining, and adds unnecessary parts.

Thanks!

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited June 2022

My EDC, the Kimber SCU is NOT a 80 series. Can't account for all the others but wouldn't mind having a few more.

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******

On Gunbroker, what key words would you use for searching? I tried, "Kimber 1911, no passive safety," and got nothing.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******

Tried with no luck to find a list of the pre swartz safety models.

The Super Carry Ultra and the early Ultra Carry (w/o the II )

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭

They were short lived if I remember and they didn't have so many offerings back then.

As for "quality"? My never fired by me CDP II the black finish has started to rub off near the thumb safety. My plan was to ship it off to Robar for NP3 finish after I popped off 500 rounds or so. Then the silly state threw hurdles after hurdles and now with the background check for ammo I should have sold it before the paint started to rub off. Now even though it's never fired by me it's looking used.