In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt 1911 questions

epakerepaker Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

A few years ago, I found a 5-digit serial number Winchester saddle ring carbine in a pawnshop. out of an abundance of caution I went home, looked up the serial number and confirmed it was from 1907. I ran back to the pawn shop, about 2 hours later, and it was gone. So, when I found a 5-digit Colt 1911, I did not hesitate. It clearly had the slide, backstrap and grip safety replaced as the patina on the frame is much different, but the price was really good, and I figured WTF why not. I also have a Navy marked slide that I want to talk about.

First the gun, I am pretty sure it is not what I thought it was. The serial number is 60324, which would put it at the very end of the 1913 production, if it is a Colt frame. However, the ones I have seen recently all have the letters NO stamped in front of the serial number and mine does not. Also, since that number should have been issued to the Army, I would expect to see "United States Property" stamped on the frame, under the slide and that is missing too. I am sure there should be other markings but that is probably enough. I am attaching pictures; they are not great, but I think everything is readable except the right side of the slide which reads: Colt Automatic Calibre 45". Any help with what the frame and the slide actually are would be helpful.

The slide is marked US Navy and, from the Patent marks stopping before the 1913 patent, I would think it was from the original Navy run in 1912, however, the finish on it is parkerized which would not have been correct until about 1940? so again, I am not sure what I have but could use some help. I do not see a serial number on the slide

Finally, as a Navy vet I would love a Navy marked 1911, I am thinking of marrying these two pieces to make a clone that I can carry and shoot, I don't want to destroy anything intrinsically valuable, and, while I am sure that a mix-master like this is not worth a huge amount, I do wonder what it could be worth, before I decide to have it all stripped and re-blued. If I do put them together I would look for a vintage set of double diamond grips and a lanyard ring clip to finish the illusion and it would just be for my own enjoyment, ThoughtS?

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think that the frame is from an original 1911; the dimples just aft of the trigger are found in the 1911A1, not a 1911. When pistols were arsenal rebuilt, sometimes the original serial number was too faint to read, so they restamped it in the same area; the number on your frame could have been done by anyone, but is definitely not original. Your frame has been so heavily ground/polished that it's impossible to be sure it's even a USGI frame. It may not even be safe to fire. It should be checked by a gunsmith.

Your slide may be from a 1911; I am unable to tell from your photos. Arsenals started parkerizing pistols being rebuilt as early as WWI, likely the reason your slide was parkerized. Reparkerizing a pistol is relatively inexpensive, but going back to the original blue finish requires expensive restoration; I don't know of anyone else capable of doing a good job except for Mr Turnbull.

Neal

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

looks like heavy frame work over pics to blurry

• epakerepaker Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

here are a couple less blurry. there are remnants of bluing and it does not look polished to me, just really worn. but I am no expert, that is why I ask

• COPPER TOPCOPPER TOP Member Posts: 209 ✭✭

Is that an A1 frame with the cuts at the trigger?

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭

That receiver is not a Colt or military contract part. The contours are wrong, the serial number is not out of any known series, there are no visible inspectors' markings. You have a surplus slide on an aftermarket frame.

• epakerepaker Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

@Hawk Carse , I was afraid that was the case, but wanted some opinions. all in all I think it still serves my purpose and I won't feel bad about modifying it. Thanks.