In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Jetlube 769 lubricant: OK on firearms/gunstock finishes?

sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

Bought an unopened 16 oz bottle at garage sale. Says it's good for firearms, fishing tackle, etc, etc. Getting ready to wipe down a couple rifles before slipping them in gunsocks and putting them in the safe. Don't want to harm any wood finishes, so wondering if anyone has experience with this product. Thanx!

Arrivederci gigi

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

No experience with it but I would be cautious using any penetrating lube on finished wood. Any penetration of the wood could cause the finish to lift. The only oil based product I use that might get on wood is Clenzoil. Bob

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

Most any oil will tend to migrate from metal to wood over time especially if the gun is stored upright. The oil gets into the grain at the metal / wood boundary. The finish can be destroyed in a small area and the wood will darken. I use only Renaissance Crystaline Wax on the metal and wood, no oil.

• sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

You guys are throwing me a real curve ball here. Clenzoil? Renaissance Crystalline Wax? I'm almost ashamed to admit, I still use Remoil and Birchwood Casey Sheath, in a spray can. Sounds like I need to upgrade my arsenal of gun care products. 🤔 Thanx for the tips gents.

Arrivederci gigi
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Remoil and Sheath are Silicones and will not harm wood finishes (I think). Another old metal preservative is RIG grease. When I left home for the Air Force I applied Boot Waterproof grease (Snowseal?) to my antique rifles hanging in the basement. Eight years later the heavy coating was still there and the metal was well protected. Lots of old and new options out there.

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 4 page sheet "Preserving Your Antique Arms Collection" written by conservator Dave Arnold at the Springfield Armory National Historic Site Museum.

PM me with your email address & I will send it to anyone who wants it.

Neal