In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Swapping slides and calibers between a single stack 1911 and double stack 1911A2 22TCM

DCastro713DCastro713 Member Posts: 19

I recently picked up a RIA 1911A2 FS MM really cheap. That is the double stack 1911.

It only came with the 22TCM barrel but no magazine.

Seems I can't find any reasonably priced double stack 9mm/380/22TCM magazines but I was able to order some 45ACP magazines.

My plan, until the 9mm double stack magazines are back in stock, is to swap the 22TCM slide and barrel with a 45acp slide and barrel from a single stack 1911 (Caspian frame and Springfield slide).

I know some will say I am crazy but I have been able to take 3 different 1911s, a WWII 45 that was so rusted you could not rack the slide, a 45 with extractor tension and clocking issues, and an unfinished custom build 9mm commander the company sold me because the gunsmith quit before finishing. That one actually had so many problems I had to replace a number of parts. I also tuned all the triggers to 4.5lb. they started anywhere from 5.5 to 8lb. I know, 8lb. 1911 trigger, thats crazy.

So I think I "may" be able to get everything to fit but want to ask the experts, besides the slide assembly and the extractor is there anything else you can suggest I watch out for?

Eagerly awaiting your replies,

David

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

The ejector slot in the slides are different to accommodate the difference in case diameters.

• DCastro713DCastro713 Member Posts: 19

Update:

Well plans changed. Since I still cannot find "reasonably" priced 22TCM magazines for my 1911A2 and the slide for my 45ACP would require some work to make it fit, which I don't want to do to a functioning 45ACP slide, I decided to convert it to 9mm.

Was able to order a 9mm barrel and some 9mm mags and after some minor barrel fitting took it to the range.

First trip ran 100 rounds without any issues.

Second trip ran another 100 rounds but had 2 failures to feed. Each time the round nosedived but after clearing the jam it ran the rest of the mag.

Still needs some work but happy with where I am at with this and another 1911 I am working on.

• TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

just bought two OEM 22TCM 17 round mags @$38. each + shipping and tax cheapest I'v seen in a long time

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭

If you're collecting a multi barreled gun why not tinker with .357Sig? I think they'll feed out of 9mm magazines? If not .40S&W magazine should be cheap.

Also if the .22TCM/9mm magazines are available get one. Then buy more when they become cheaper. I'm thinking after biden gets booted out of the White house.

• DCastro713DCastro713 Member Posts: 19

I do have a couple of 22TCM/9mm mags on the way and once they arrive will compare them to the 9mm/38super mags I already received. I suspect they may be the same mags with modifications to the feed lips.

If that is the case I may try to modify the 9mm mags to match the 22tcm.

I may also look into converting to .357sig but I have been trying to not add more calibers especially since 9mm is cheaper here then 22tcm or 357sig (if you can find them).

Hoping to get more range time next weekend once the mags arrive and I plan to work on my father-in-law's Charter Arms AR-7 this week to try and get it back up and running.

By the way, where did you find the 22tcm mags? I found them on Greg Cotes. But looking for other options.

• TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

Greg it was! other options may come to pass ,but lower pricing probably not, anyway a couple of bucks makes no difference in the long run, having them to be able to use the 22TCM is more important. My duel barrel 9mm/22TCM feeds the 9's perfectly thru the 22TCM mags